shepcon
2 Bronze

Thin Client Suggestions for ViaB

Thin Client Suggestions for ViaB

We're running ViaB 5.0.2 along with CAG Express VPX 5.0.4 and all is running well. We've been using all true PCs for endpoints with the latest Citrix Receiver, which has worked perfectly with USB redirection and other devices. We now would like to test some of the various thin and zero clients. I'm currently looking at the Wyse T10 and the new Xenith 2, which both support the necessary HDX protocol. They both look very similar with different CPUs. Other than this, I cannot really tell a difference from the docs.

If anyone can provide some input on these devices and make a suggestion, I'd be appreciative.

Thanks.
Ken

0 Kudos
3 Replies
hangulo1
3 Argentum

RE: Thin Client Suggestions for ViaB

They are the same hardware but different software (one is a purpose-built 'zero client' and the other is a flexible 'thin client')

T10 and Xenith2 are based on the same "Wyse Zero engine" but the difference is in their flexibility. Xenith devices are purpose built for Citrix/HDX so will give you the best experience if you know you will only need to use HDX. T10 supports both RDP & ICA and in general is a 'superset' of functionality of Xenith (i.e T10 supports what Xenith does plus RDP functionality). I say 'generally' because Xenith devices usually get HDX features a few months faster than ThinOS-based devices (which T10 is) since the simpler of the two platforms.

So depends on your needs-- if all you care about is HDX then you may be better off with Xenith since it means you have the latest and greatest functionality and a more streamlined user experience

0 Kudos
shepcon
2 Bronze

Thanks for the answer and information as it was helpful. But why would anyone purchase the Xenith2? They both have the same hardware and the price is nearly identical? And with the T10 your get HDX and RDP. Certainly makes the decision simple for me even if I don't need RDP.

Ken

0 Kudos
hangulo1
3 Argentum

Xenith has a customized experience around XenDesktop so if you for sure are doing that, its the easiest to deploy (i.e you take it out of the box, boot it up, it asks you for citrix server IP address and then you are presented with login screen--- no need for FTP server or INI unless you want to customize).

Also, Xenith usually gets the HDX engine updated before ThinOS.

In the end, its a matter of preference.. ThinOS is definitely more flexible than Xenith but also means more decisions/configuration during initial deployment.

0 Kudos