Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2015 08:00

C10LE and Microsoft RDS Broker -- looking for reference material

C10LE and Microsoft RDS Broker -- looking for reference material

We're just getting started with 2008 R2 RDS and with a new batch of C10LE's running WTOS 7.1.

After a bit of certificate wrangling I managed to get the C10LE set up to log me in to our single-server RDS "farm" (web, broker, session host all in one box)....but now what? I don't see any apps like I do when I log in to the web interface from a PC. There's nothing on the "Applications" part of the C10LE's little menu, etc. The only thing I see different is my Windows user name appears on the menu bar button (the "Start" button).

Is there some good reference documentation on what is supposed to happen next? I would have expected to be able to choose an app, desktop, etc...what am I missing?

My WNOS.ini follows:

Autoload=2
Signon=yes
Connectionbroker=Microsoft
Host=rds.mydomain.local
AddCertificate=thecertificate.cer <===in base64 format as it turns out

June 22nd, 2015 08:00

I am using the R10L with the same type of set-up as you. I have got the applications working and the personal desktops, but not the pool. As for documentation on anything beyond where you are at there is none that I have found. Try this in your INI file.

SessionConfig=RDP EnableNLA=No
VDIBroker=https://RDWAserverFQDN
ConnectionBroker=Microsoft

June 23rd, 2015 07:00

Thanks, I do have the C10's connecting now to the broker and it works well. I will post the wnos.ini file that made it all happen if anyone expresses interest.

The only real operational issue remaining for us is when a user's password has expired, or has been marked by the helpdesk as "User must change at next logon". I don't see any way for them to change their password from the thin client itself, and of course if they can't log in to the thin client they can't very well connect to a desktop to do it that way, or to a web browser to use the password change feature on OWA, etc. Any suggestions?

2 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 07:00

Hi Paul, I am trying out a similar setup to you. Can you post your .ini please? It seems it is not possible to auto login to the broker, or have you found a solution to this?

1 Message

June 24th, 2015 02:00

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ThinnerOS View Post

Hi Paul, I am trying out a similar setup to you. Can you post your .ini please? It seems it is not possible to auto login to the broker, or have you found a solution to this?

Hey ThinnerOS - did you ever get your issue resolved? I'm not sure based on your statement of the problem you were experiencing, but right now the issue I'm experiencing is as follows:

We have 3 servers that make up the farm - 1 connection broker and 2 session hosts all of which are running Server 2008 R2 and are up to date on all patches, service packs, etc. They're all pretty much identical, even down to the hardware.

The issue has to do with using RemoteApps. We have a few setup in the farm which we've made accessible via links in the user's Juniper SSL VPN session. A user would log into the SSL VPN web page and have a list of links right there on their start page. Links to these RemoteApps show up there as well. Also, I can get into the apps via the via the RDWeb Access page but that's not the preferred way we want everyone to access these apps.

The issue is that when I click on one of the links I've created in the SSL VPN page I eventually get an error message stating "The connection cannot proceed because authentication is not enabled and the remote computer requires that authentication be enabled to connect." What happens next is the Remote Desktop login window appears, the same one that appears if I just fire up Remote Desktop Connection and connect to a server, where I can enter my network credentials. What it shows is the computer name\my network username. That's why I believe I'm getting this authentication is not enabled error message. It should be trying to log me into the domain, not the local server. What I can't figure out is how to fix that - how to make it so it'll attempt to log me into the domain versus the local server.

I've checked everywhere and it appears everything is setup correctly - the Domain Users group is in the Remote Desktop Users group on each server in the farm, the connection broker has all the servers in the farm in the Session Broker Computers group, the TS Web Access Computers and Access Administrators groups have what should be those groups, etc.

I'm out of ideas and can't find the answer via Google because I can't find a case where someone is using RemoteApps like I'm trying to use it. Can any of you help?

No Events found!