Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 18th, 2015 06:00

Changing OS from Windows CE to WTOS

Question Changing OS from Windows CE to WTOS

So I'm trying to find a use for my Wyse R10L thin clients. They currently have Windows CE installed. I am wanting to add WTOS.

Is the only way to convert operating systems the Wyse R Class Conversion to ThinOS method using a USB drive(I have the kit but would like to convert without using a USB drive)? I originally thought I could change it similar to how I upgrade firmware(WTOS -FTP/HTTP/HTTPS Upgrade methods), just dropping the new files in the correct folder(wyse/wnos) and connecting up the thin client. But after some research I'm beginning to think that won't work.

Can someone verify that the only way to convert Operating Systems is by using Wyse USB Firmware Tool and a USB drive?

Thanks!

17 Posts

Issue solved. Conversion kit did not account for an older BIOS version.

New kit obtained from Dell.

17 Posts

Went the USB route

So I went the USB route and it seemed easy enough setting it up. New issue is The R-Class thin client to WTOS conversion kit provided by Wyse doesn't seem to work with R10L models.

Can anyone verify this?

What conversion kit works with the R10L thin client for converting to WTOS?

623 Posts

You may want to check your models, since there was never an R class released with Windows CE, so there is not a CE to WTOS conversion kit for the R-Class. Yo may have a R90L (XPe) to WTOS . You need to follow the instructions, utilities and files included in the DVD, and do not deviate. Once you have converted your device, you can use an updated USB FT and firmware file.

Roger Montalvo 
Visit our Dell Wyse Thin Client Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at www.wyse.com/KB
Visit our Dell Wyse PocketCloud Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/forums
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

17 Posts

RMontalvo,

You are correct. Thin Client model is R90L7 running WES7. The conversion kit (part# 920222-29) worked following the directions to convert via USB drive. But we ended up with WTOS v. 7.0.0_30 and we need version 8+.

Everywhere I look I've read you need to go from 7.0 to 7.1 then to 8.0 and above.
So as a test you'd think I could go from 7.0.0_30 to 7.0.1_13 right?

But when I put the firmware file from 7.0.1_13(R10_wnos) on our FTP server and connect the thin client to update WTOS. I receive "Invalid firmware(1.0.1_13): HW CAP 0xa00f". 

Any version of the R10_wnos yields the same result with a different "invalid firmware(x.x.x_xx)" version listed. Any ideas?

No Events found!