Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N4

6 Posts

August 21st, 2018 10:00

Lag with Wyse 3040 with dual DP displays in portrait mode

Greetings-

We're getting some pretty bad lag on our Wyse 3040's when connected to dual DisplayPort displays in Portrait (vertical) mode during RDP sessions.  Specifically, when scrolling documents in MS Word or Adobe Acrobat, the lag gets very pronounced.  Hit the PgDn key a few times in succession, and it will take a few seconds for the system to catch up.  Similarly, when selecting text, the lag is sufficient to cause inaccuracies when selecting text.  Since my company's main business is document conversion, this is a big issue for us.

This lag is nonexistent if the same displays are rotated to horizontal- however, it cuts down on productivity since it requires more active scrolling on the user's part.

To be clear, we're setting the display rotation in the thin client, and not in the Windows sessions (display customization isn't allowed by Terminal Services).

I'm open to suggestions....

6 Posts

August 28th, 2018 22:00

We are seeing the exact same thing on our 3040 clients except we're using our monitors in landscape (horizontal) orientation.

We're also experiencing monitor flickering and window "artifacting" where a window will appear on screen but will not be "filled in" unless you move the window to force a redraw.  This happens intermittently and seems to be worse on one of our older code LOB apps.  But it does happen on the latest version of Google Chrome when run on the clients.

We have 28 identical hosts running Windows Server 2016 RDS with 3-4 3040 thin clients connected to each and they are all exhibiting this behavior.

This started for us a few weeks ago after updating ThinOS to v8.5_017.  Unfortunately this is also around the same time that the latest Microsoft Cumulative Update for August 2018 hit so I wasn't sure at first which was causing the issue.  However, after some testing, when I connect to a host using a Microsoft Windows 10 laptop with the latest patches I don't have any flicker or redraw issues.  This leads me to think it's an issue with the latest ThinOS release.

I plan to test a brand new deployment this week with the previous ThinOS version (8.5_012) and see what happens.

6 Posts

August 29th, 2018 07:00

Interesting that you're essentially having the same issue, but in landscape mode instead of portrait.  Makes me wonder if the displays involved have any impact on it- we're using 4x3 displays instead of 16x9.

Please keep me posted as to your testing with the previous ThinOS version, as I've been considering that avenue as well.

6 Posts

September 5th, 2018 07:00

*exasperated sigh*

Well, I found and installed the Merlin version of the OS (8.5_B009), but it made no difference.  I also downgraded the BIOS to 1.2.0, and it made no difference.  Still scroll lag to the point of being unusable (if you want to be accurate and productive, that is).

ASE-IT, any luck on your end?

3 Apprentice

• 

698 Posts

September 5th, 2018 09:00

I would suggest you open a support case.  Support will have access to existing bug reports, and available resolutions.

6 Posts

September 5th, 2018 11:00

I just did exactly that... we'll see what happens.

3 Apprentice

• 

698 Posts

September 6th, 2018 05:00

Perfect.  Keep us updated.   

6 Posts

September 6th, 2018 15:00

Yes, in fact.  In my environment rolling back to the previous firmware release fixed all of our flickering and redraw issues.  Seems that there's something definitely not compatible between the 8.5_017 release and Windows Server 2016 running RDS.

6 Posts

September 7th, 2018 05:00

Interesting... so, ASE-IT, what BIOS, OS version, and packages are you running now?

3 Apprentice

• 

698 Posts

September 7th, 2018 05:00

What version of the firmware did you rollback to?  DId you make support aware so they can continue to investigate and fix in the 8.5 build?

4 Posts

October 11th, 2018 10:00

Interested what you guys have discovered and whether a rollback worked permanently?

We have D10D Wyse Terminals running the same firmware. On delivering a Windows 10 desktop with only the VDA installed and Citrix user experience, on moving explorer windows around the latency goes through the roof and it slows down attempting to re-draw the window location. We are also dual screen - but I will test tomorrow on an individual screen to see how it behaves.

We have also had reports of latency during calls via Avaya Softphone around the same time as we updated all our Wyse devices to 8.5_017, but this could be something separate. I will test this also.

1 Message

October 12th, 2018 11:00

Also curious on what rollback worked (BIOS version, firmware version, packages installed and Horizon version) and if so, permanently.

Currently running the latest BIOS, firmware and packages available for Horizon. 

Have been trying to get 3040 (N10D) devices ready for deployment for two weeks straight and can not get past the performance issues. Chrome kills I/O, YouTube runs like hot garbage on any quality setting. It's a huge step back from our Tera2 clients and PCoIP that we're trying to move away from...

I've tried configuring and shaping Blast in our image but it appears to be just an issue with performance on the thin client. We've been using blast for Horizon Client sessions and RDSH sessions for about a year now with zero performance issues. There was actually a decent step up in performance in most scenarios moving from PCoIP to Blast on Horizon 7.3.1 in the rest of our environment. 

The worst part is the devices are stuck with ThinOS and we can't even try flashing ThinLinux or WES. 
Dell technically owns VMware now.. the last update was in July, I don't even understand how people are using these devices and how this hasn't been addressed...

208 Posts

November 26th, 2018 06:00

Hi all We are new to these devices and not able to make use out of 2 monitors connected with Display Port. We configured WDS accordingly but the session is only within one Screen and on the other hand we do have a screen which shows the desktop of the thin client. Is there anything special to consider like cables, RDS settings or so? Windows Server 2016 Wyse 3040 Thin OS 8.5 2x Dell Screen connected by DP WDS activated and configured for multimon and span Thanks

7 Posts

November 26th, 2018 11:00

By default, you shouldn't have to configure WMS (not WDS, figured it was a typo). Before connecting to the network or WMS, are you getting dual display locally at the 3040 device? Asking for testing validation to make sure your monitor, cable, and device port are working out of the box.

208 Posts

November 27th, 2018 01:00

Hi Sorry about the typo, I mean "WDM".

When we take a TC and attach two screens via DP we see two active screens which show the desktop of the TC BUT when we connect to RDS we only see the Windows Desktop on one screen. We did not configure anything in RDS GPOs except of "limit numbers of monitors" to Disbaled. By default the user is not able to change any settings on the TC due to "privilege level" is set to "None" and "Show Display settings" is set to "No". In the "Display" area we have "Enable Dual Monitor" - Tick "Dual Monitor Mode" - Span Mode "Main Screen" - Screen 1 "Auto detect monitors" - 1 TC Firmware = Wyse ThinOS (8.5_020)

208 Posts

November 30th, 2018 01:00

Any ideas on this? Thanks

No Events found!