Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

June 18th, 2015 02:00

--Resolved-- Poor RDP performance with T10

Post--Resolved-- Poor RDP performance with T10
Hello,

As a customer of Wyse, we have T10 which 500 pcs installed on WTOS7. We had lots of problems related to usb redirection, numlock capslock sync on WTOS7 with Windows 8. We've passed all of our problems to Wyse Customer Support and they back to us to wait for WTOS8.

And WTOS8 finally released and solved all the problems we had before but this time it occured the RDP performance isssue!

Our beta environment as below:

Thin Client = Wyse T10 with WTOS 8.0.30 firmware
Target OS = Windows 8 VM on Hyper-V 3.0
Target OS Hardware = 2 vCpu, 4GB DynamicMemory, 60GB HDD
Connection Method = RDP; no any broker service!
Network BW = 100mbit

We have issue that with above configuration is very poor performance of the RDP 8.0 with WTOS8. But there is no rdp performance issue on same configuration except WTOS 8. WTOS 7 RDP experience is good. We've record a video for a better understanding of the issue. As seen in the video T10 Cpu is riding high load with every Windows 8 gui interaction!!! This problem didn't have WTOS7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k7oFewiv-E

June 18th, 2015 05:00

Ok then! If I work with WTOS7 on Windows 8 RDP had no issues. RDP Performance is very good and T10 Cpu is most idle while running with on it.

But when If I upgrade WTOS8_0_30 firmaware then RDP performance degradation. The degradation occurs with both system that are being used to connect to the Windows 8 Virtual machine. I can open an RDP Session, the any gui interaction responce times are really long. This in particulary is the case when any windows 8 rdp gui interaction.We've tried on Excel, Word, Media Players, Browsers etc.. When we try use them rising %90 T10 Cpu! And so RDP experience is very poor. What concerns WTOS 8, I've tried shutting all the graphic features off and turning the color levels to 256 colors. Result - the same.

Please watch the video below and give us your feedback.

Note: This video has been recorded with latest firmware on T10.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2014.24.51.mp4

73 Posts

could you please give the operations in this post firstly, such as editing a word doc? viewing PPT? playing MMR? what's kind of the bad performance?

129 Posts

Thank you for this detailed feedback. Unfortunately not all of the team members have access to youtube. Could you please host this video on a separate web site, or if needed PM me and I will provide upload instructions.

Thanks
John

73 Posts

June 18th, 2015 09:00

the cpu of t10 is not strong enough to process the GFX, could you disable GFX and confirm if it is better?
in addition, i think dev will give some improvement on the next build too

June 18th, 2015 09:00

I already tried all of gfx option combinations but didnt work! Even we did change resoulution minimum level (1024/768) performance are very few increasing but still is poor! We bought a 450 pcs T10 in more recent and we are worried about whether the T10 performance is sufficient! If so, this would be terrible for us. Please lead us about this issue!

June 18th, 2015 10:00

Great news! Thank you for all you've done. How can we learn release date of the next drop?

129 Posts

Thank you for your feedback on this issue.

We have made some improvements with RDP 8 and this will be included in the next build. Please stay turned and provide your experience when testing this next build.

Thanks
John

7 Posts

Just wanted to add, that I am also experiencing very slow RDP performance running beta firmware 8.31. Moving between rows in excel maxes out CPU, also simply moving the window/application around cause CPU to be maxed and is very choppy. This behavior did not occur in 7.1.207

I am running 2012 RDS with Sessions.

To add to the post, I can stream Windows Media Player files just fine, also launching a youtube video in IE 10 works just fine.

73 Posts

i have forwarded the issue to dev again, Monday is coming for China

Hello,

We've tried to new built but while working on excell sheet or web browser experince would also be painfully slow. It didn't seem related to any connectivity since the screen redraw was fairly fast, but it just took a long time (as 1000ms, 1500 ms) for the guest os to respond to keystrokes, mouse-clicks, etc. It had all the earmarks of a T10 CPU being overwhelmed. We couldnt take that like as performance of WTOS 7 I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Regards

129 Posts

Great feedback, thank you to both of you for this information.

The performance issue is related to RDP 8's implementation of "GFX". This is a new graphics handling system, that is very CPU intensive. This is why your experience improved as your CPU speed improves as well. For the V/C/T class devices, we have kept this feature enabled for Beta to understand your experiences with this enabled. With the next Beta drop, we will have this as a configurable on/off selection. This will allow the usage of RDP 8 and the benefits of the new features/improvement there, but will disable CPU intensive "GFX" implementation.

I very much look forward to your experiences with the next Beta drop, and with turning off "GFX" your responsiveness should be comparable to 7.1_207 with RDP 7.1, but using the new features of RDP 8 (with Win 8 & Svr 2012 environments).

Thanks
John

129 Posts

We will have 1 more additional drop before Beta closure on May 9th. I will post it here similar to #1 & #2 drops for download

129 Posts

Hello,
With WTOS 8 and the introduction of RDP 8, this new protocol is used when connecting to Win 8 or Server 2012 environments. When connecting into Win 7/Vista/XP & Server 2k8 & r2, 2k3 you will use RDP 7.1

Your base test on WTOS 7.1_207 is using RDP 7.1 to connect into Win 8 VM's.
As you can notice there are some differences between RDP 7.1 & RDP 8. Unfortunately, this means that your comparisons between WTOS 7 and WTOS 8 are not as cut and dry as it would seem.

Can you please bring up the local CPU graphing function and run your tests again. (System Settings, System Tools, Performance Monitor) Please take notice of the CPU % being used in your above testing and post back your experience.

Thanks
John

I look forward to the possibility of working together.I would be most grateful if you would look into this matter as soon as possible.We appreciate your business.Yours faithfully.

We can understand the difficulty of your job. We're accept that the RDP 8 is a new protocol but we begun the desktop virtualization project on Windows 8 with Wyse T10. If you wish I can briefly that our history of T10 as below:

- September 2012 = Desktop virtualizaton project had started with Windows 7 Sp1 on Wyse T10. In initial phase, our experience was very good. It's not any problem on it and everyhthings was OK!

- November 2012 = We're upgraded to Windows 8 and latest firmware 7.1.207 . In this phase , Rdp performance was good but it hasn't tcx support and above all it was not syncronization numlock capslock on keyboard. If a user trying a connection to logon screen of Windows 8 with T10 then numeric keypad (numlock side) is not working that although physical keyboard numlock indicator is green/light on! It only work but when I turned off numlock!.Also this problem is occur all windows sessions/app! We already before created case on this issue, twice. (Case numbers = 2794120 - 2787988) but didnt solve! Actually this issue is our main problem! If this issue is resolved then our problem is resolved. However, Wyse support said that :"Until WTOS 8 comes out, and if this issue is still present, then we will be able to pass this issue on to Product management. Until WTOS 8 is out. Windows 8 support is not available."

- And this year = We were happy when release WTOS 8 BETA version. We've upgraded instantly! and we saw all the problems have been solved! But this time, the RDP performance problem is appeared

In brief : We will be happy if Rdp performance would be as good with WTOS 8. Or We'll be happy if Numlock and capslock sync issue is resolved with WTOS 7.1.207! All other possibilities would be very bad for us! Because we are planning to buy new 720pcs T10.

Also I have record new video to performance review on latest beta firmware 8.31. You could find out as follow: http://yadi.sk/d/UQhmBTtV4TCXE

No Events found!