Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R2

June 23rd, 2015 03:00

Temporary profile issues in Windows 2012

Temporary profile issues in Windows 2012

Issue: We are getting randomly temporary profiles in Windows 2012 from different users in our environment; we were thinking that the problem was on the server side but, we were able to replicate this issue when we use wnos 8.0_030 and 8.0_031; we are not getting temporary profile in wnos 7.1_122 or laptop (RDP 8.0 client).

I have been testing the following devices:
- R10 Wyse Clients (wnos 8.0_030 and 8.0_031)
- R10 Wyse Client (wnos 7.1_122)
- Laptop with Windows 7 (Remote desktop Client 8.0) – Remote Connection

We are using RDS as a remote desktop session mode and we are using User Disk Profile(VHDx files) in the collection. Right now, we are using redirecting profiles for AppData, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Favorites; Music, Pictures and My Music follow the documents folder. Do you think redirect folders should affect the login. We are not using roaming profile.

Our current servers are:
1 RDSAdmin (console managment)
1 RDSCB (Connection Broker) - This server has the following roles: Connection Broker, Web Access, Gateway and Licensing.
2 RDS (RDS Host)
2 User Disk profile Servers - These servers are hosting the vhdx files for our sessions. The main server is replicating to the other user disk profile server using DFSR technologies. I didnt see any errors on this server about user profile.
1 staffapp - Server with special apps (RemoteApp Server)

Let me know if you need additional information on this.

Thanks!

20 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 07:00

Thanks for the feedback; it sounds interesting... Could you elaborate a little bit regarding the 'randomly temporary profiles' you were getting with e.g. what's the name of it? 

Furthermore, what is the server with the publihed apps - Win7, 2008R2, or Win8? I assume the temporary profiles were generated by connecting to the published apps not any desktop right?

Regards,
Leon Li

June 24th, 2015 03:00

Hi, 

You will see the answer to your questions in blue

Thanks for the feedback; it sounds interesting... Could you elaborate a little bit regarding the 'randomly temporary profiles' you were getting with e.g. what's the name of it? 

Below, you will see the windows messages that we got from event logs from Windows:

1)
Windows has backed up this user profile. Windows will automatically try to use the backup profile the next time this user logs on.
(Log Name: Application, Source: User Profile Service, EventID 1515, Level Error, User Wolf, Server RDS2.domain.com)

2)
Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.
(Log Name: Application, Source: User Profile Service, EventID 1511, Level Error, User Wolf, Server RDS2.domain.com)

Furthermore, what is the server with the publihed apps - Win7, 2008R2, or Win8? I assume the temporary profiles were generated by connecting to the published apps not any desktop right?

The issue is happening in Desktop sessions. We didnt find any problem with published apps yet. Let me give further details about our environment and our set up:

1 RDSCB (Connection Broker) - This server has the following roles: Connection Broker, Web Access, Gateway and Licensing.
2 RDS (RDS Host)
2 User Disk profile Servers - These servers are hosting the vhdx files for our sessions. The main server is replicating to the other user disk profile server using DFSR technologies. I didnt see any errors on this server about user profile.

The VHDx template reside in User Disk Profile Server; this server is using Windows 2012. 
"During first logon, a virtual disk (VHDX) is created from a template disk. This VHDX is attached RD Session Host server that the user is logging on to. The profile service is then notified to use this VHDX as the location for the user’s profile. When the user logs off, the VHDX is then detached from the RD Session Host server. 

The entire user’s profile is stored on the user profile disk. This includes the Documents folder, the user’s registry hive (holds application and Windows settings).

On subsequent logons to the collection, the VHDX is remounted to RD Session Host server the user is logging on to. The user then has access to everything in his or her profile, even if this is a different RD Session Host".

Thanks for your response and let me know if you need further information on this issue.

20 Posts

July 2nd, 2015 08:00

OK we are able to reproduce the issue now; it does happen on WTOS build 31 but seems not there with Windows Web Access... and user changes with 'temporary profile' will be lost upon exit.

We are working with Dev for investigation and will get back soon.

Regards,
Leon Li

July 3rd, 2015 05:00

Leon Kan Li,

We applied the workaround and it worked great for that day but, if we logout and log back in again, we might get the temporary profile again. In our current environment, we have 6 people using windows 2012 RDS and we were getting temporary profiles at least for two people everyday. Imagine if we deploy it for 300 users, we will be receiving many calls for that issue.

I was using WNOS .1_133 and I didn't get any temporary profile in my current environment. I am not sure what is causing this issue. 

Thanks for your support on this!

20 Posts

Dear There,

We double checked and found this only reproducible with 1 user from our end, which is reproducible from both WTOS 8.0 and Windows clients (Web access). WTOS 7.1 could be ignored "because 7.1 doesn’t handle load balance server token. So it will connect to connection broker directly." 

We are able to resolve the problem from our end with steps below on server side:

1. Backup user profile
2. Enter reg editor
3. Find user SID at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
4. There should be 2 SIDs e.g. S-1-5-21-278931591-1947559536-3932021206-7425 and S-1-5-21-278931591-1947559536-3932021206-7425.bak -- back up both if possible
5. Rename the first one to *.old and rename the *.bak by removing '.bak'
6. Restart computer

Above steps resolved the problem at our end and connecting from WTOS will not see temporary profile anymore; referece article can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/9472...?wa=wsignin1.0

Please kindly confirm if this is any different from your side or any further problem about it.

Regards,
Leon Li

20 Posts

Dear There,

I understand the issue... when we are seeing it from WTOS 8.0 we are also seeing it from Windows client (web access) so DEV can hardly do anything from WTOS side. With WTOS 7.1 it works in a different way (as it's RDP7 etc...)

Could you help to check if this is reproducible for those users in problem from your side with Windows client (RDP8 client)?

Regards,
Leon Li

129 Posts

July 3rd, 2015 06:00

Hello RL,
If you can validate this issue from a Windows client, then this will allow us to narrow down the root cause of the issue. It is possible this might be a Microsoft server bug, and with your help we can narrow this down.

Thanks
John

Hi, 

I wasn't able to reproduce this error using windows RDP 8.0 client on a Windows 7 computer. I logged in 15 times and we didn't get any temporary profile. It might be something with the firmware (WNOS 8.0) because we didn't have this problem in WNOS 7.1.

Let me know if you need further details on this and thanks for your assistance.

20 Posts

Dear There,

if possible could you help to try Windows RDP client from Windows 8 or Windows 2012?

WTOS 7.1 was with RDP 7 client and it works in a different way; according to DEV "because 7.1 doesn’t handle load balance server token. So it will connect to connection broker directly.". I'm not sure how the Windows RDP 8 client was used on Windows 7 computer, just in case there is a difference   

Regards,
Leon Li

129 Posts

July 3rd, 2015 07:00

Thank you for your continued work on this.

We will continue our investigation.

Thanks
John

I was using an RDP file and we didnt get temporary issues doing it this way. Let me know if you want me to test the other options(from rdweb or typing the name of the farm) as well.

73 Posts

the question from dev, 
Please confirm windows rdp client connect to the session with .RDP file from rdweb or input destination machine address directly?

Hi, 

I tested from RD web and i didnt have any temporary profile; I was using the same AD account to make sure the AD account is not the issue. Did your Dev team find anything about this issue? Do you think that it will be fix by june 21st? Below, you will see the RDP file that i am using to connect from a laptop. 

RDP File
screen mode id:i:1

use multimon:i:0
desktopwidth:i:1280
desktopheight:i:1024
session bpp:i:24
winposstr:s:0,3,306,0,1106,560
compression:i:1
keyboardhook:i:2
audiocapturemode:i:0
videoplaybackmode:i:1
connection type:i:2
displayconnectionbar:i:1
disable wallpaper:i:0
allow font smoothing:i:1
allow desktop composition:i:1
disable full window drag:i:1
disable menu anims:i:1
disable themes:i:0
disable cursor setting:i:0
bitmapcachepersistenable:i:1
full address:s:rds.domain.com
audiomode:i:0
redirectprinters:i:0
redirectcomports:i:0
redirectsmartcards:i:1
redirectclipboard:i:1
redirectposdevices:i:0
redirectdirectx:i:1
autoreconnection enabled:i:1
authentication level:i:2
prompt for credentials:i:0
negotiate security layer:i:1
remoteapplicationmode:i:0
alternate shell:s:
shell working directory:s:
gatewayhostname:s:rdscb.domain.com
gatewayusagemethod:i:1
gatewaycredentialssource:i:0
gatewayprofileusagemethod:i:1
promptcredentialonce:i:1
use redirection server name:i:0
drivestoredirect:s:

Thanks for all your support!!!

Hi, 

Today, I tested the connection to my farm (RDSH) and I didn't receive any temporary profile. I was using RDP client in Windows 8. No issues with the client. 

Thanks for you assistance on this and let us know if you need further details. 

Thanks!

73 Posts

thanks for your reply!
Can you try rdweb, also can you share his .RDP file with us? (my mail: llu@wyse.com)

No Events found!