Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 2nd, 2015 04:00

Upgrade only 1 device in my network

Upgrade only 1 device in my network

I'd like to fully test the new 7.x.x.x firmware upgrade before fully deploying it to my staff.

We use the ftp upgrade method set to upgrade if available.

How can I upgrade only my test device without upgrading the whole enterprise?

Thanks for thoughts!

V10L

167 Posts

July 2nd, 2015 09:00

Most people will create a "staging" folder where they manually point a device to (instead of having it find the production location through DHCP options). So say your production image is under ftproot/wyse/wnos/xxx , you can create a directory such as ftproot/wyse-staging/wnos/xxxx .

Once you like what you see, simply compy the image into the "production" folder

3 Posts

July 2nd, 2015 09:00

Hangulo- Thanks for that. I did however, do it slightly different. After seeing your method, i may want to use it going forward.

I added another instance of ftp server under the directory of c:\inetpub\ftproot\test\wyse and it has an exact image of the real ftp structure. I then gave it a ip address of the same as my ftp server, but added an alternate port number, Then on my test device I altered the dhcp scope option for the ftp server name to point to the newly added dhcp scope option that references the test ftp server setup. As you can see, it's rather complex method of having to do it, but having to test the firmwares, wnos.ini's as well as username.ini's it ended up being the perfect option for me.

That being said. Once I am done with my test device, I'll go re-edit the device to re-point it at the correct DHCP TAG for the production server.

Seriously, Thank You for your reply.

Jim

No Events found!