Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 4th, 2015 02:00

Application images in WSM

Application images in WSM

Hey

I'm wondering about starting to use app images instead of having everything inside OS image.

But I'm wondering about how to determine which app that are better to keep inside OS image, and which that can be put in own app image, for example - MS Office - it gets its updates via MS Windows Update. How do it work with App image, or are it better to let it stay in OS image, which I patch with winupdate every month?

And what's better, having a app pack in one image, or one image for each app?

Anyone that have experience?

Thanks on advance

Quote Originally Posted by mhaase View Post

You need the O:\ drive as target installation directory, i.e. O:\ \INSTALLDIR

Exactly. It's short and clear I think.

200 Posts

You need the O:\ drive as target installation directory, i.e. O:\ \INSTALLDIR

11 Posts

I'm creating a WSM Publisher machine for application publishing. I was reading the admin guide pg. 57(67) and it mentions that you need to add and "O" partition for making new apps. here's the paragraph from the admin guide..is this really necessary, or is having a large "C partition" all I need? 

"To ensure adequate disk space, WSM Publisher requires a segmented drive space for the
application to be published. You can install or rename drives via the Computer
Management feature in Windows XP or later. To re-partition a drive, use a third-party
application such as Partition Magic."

Thanks,

Patrick

200 Posts

The process of virtualizing and Application with WSM is explained in the WSM 6 How-To Series in WSM 6 HowTo #4 - Create Appset using Publisher Express.pdf

200 Posts

The majority of customers tend to include applications within the OS Image because this is what they know from their traditional PC implementation and requires no skills and time to package and update Applications. While this is straightforward and ensures maximum application compatibility, the goal to have one golden image for all users can become a challenge in terms of access control and licensing cost. Without Application Virtualization, customers may need to create and manage multiple OS Images, for example one for teachers and staff (including SmartBoard drivers and special software), and another one for the ordinary user which has no special requirements. Application patching is done at the same time as OS image patching, and must be done image by image.

Application Virtualization builds on the OS Image and makes Applications available to User Groups via so called "subscription", which basically just adds the pointers to allow launching an Application in streamed mode. Dell Wyse WSM does not use sandboxing but seamless layering of streamed Applications, so the Application Image and OS Image Version must match (i.e. Office 2010 packaged for Win7 cannot be streamed to WinXP)
While many Applications are easy to package using the WSM Publisher, others may require some customization or cannot be virtualized at all (i.e. system drivers required to be started during boot of OS).
The extreme example is a customer which has a pristine, uniform OS Image for all users and workplaces, and only when the user signs in the applications are subscribed.
The benefit is only one OS Image to manage and maximum control and flexibility what Applications and Versions are available by User group, which leads to reduced support calls.

My recommendation is to just virtualize applications that should not be available for everyone for security or licensing reasons or change very often; everything else that is needed by the majority off the users should be included in the OS Image.
Secondly, create one Application Image for every application and do not bundle apps.

Having said this, the decision using Application Virtualization or not should be decided case by case driven by the customers demand with having a flexible, easy to manage and stable environment.

200 Posts

June 4th, 2015 03:00

Works fine for me Sir!
This direct link is it:  ftp://support-emea.wyse.com/public/WSM/WSM6-HowTo.zip

June 4th, 2015 03:00

Quote Originally Posted by mhaase View Post
The process of virtualizing and Application with WSM is explained in the WSM 6 How-To Series in WSM 6 HowTo #4 - Create Appset using Publisher Express.pdf

It's a pity, but the link that you gave doesn't work now. Do you know what the problem is?

Use TickleTrain to follow-up on your emails automatically.

No Events found!