2 Bronze

High Memory,Disk and CPU usage on WSM Server

Question High Memory,Disk and CPU usage on WSM Server

Hi,

We have Core Server 8GB of RAM and Edge Server 0n 2008 OS,

And SQL 2008 on WSM Core Server,

We have 70 clients using Core Server,

We found that the Memory, Disk and CPU usage on WSM Server very High,

And clients Boot Time takes extremely long time up to 20min until the logon screen appears

Can anyone help me!

Thank You

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
30 Replies
mhaase-2015
3 Argentium

RE: High Memory,Disk and CPU usage on WSM Server

WSM 5 Sizing and Planning Guide -> Search for MaxSystemCacheMBytes and read "Performance troubleshooting and OS Image optimization"

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Bazzoka
2 Bronze

Talking

Thank you for your reply

but i found the MaxSystemCacheMBytes configured to 32 i don't know it's 32G or what and i don't know what is the recommended for this register value and i can't understand this point

We found that some clients booting successfully and another takes extremely long time up to 20min until the logon screen appears,

and another day the users takes normal time,

i don't know what can i do ?!!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
mhaase-2015
3 Argentium

1-99 = limit the maximum size of the System File Cache to this percentage of currently available RAM. If it is set to 32 this is the percetage of RAM used and is for example 32% of 8GB = ~2,6GB
The default for 2-8GB of RAM is to use 75% of RAM if there is not MaxSystemCacheMBytes configured at all.
Have a look at SetCache.log file under “<WSM Server install folder>\log” folder. This log file records the exact value system cache file size was set to.
Try to increase the value up to 70 which would result in a max System File Cache of ~5,6GB.
Monitor your network to find out if it is saturated with other traffic when WSM Clients boot slow.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
rnance
1 Copper

I would also suggest looking at the processes that are running at startup within the streamed image and stop any unneeded processes from running. Sysinternals AutoRuns is a good utility that can help with tracking down all the processes / services running at startup. Certain programs, like Windows Defender and anti-malware can cause an enormous amount of data to be transferred between the client and server

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Bazzoka
2 Bronze

Hi,

till now we can't solve the problem
and the users feels slow motion when the work

thx

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
mhaase-2015
3 Argentium

WSM 6.0.0 is changing the game as it is developed as true 64bit Application and hence don't have to cope with the memory limitation of 2GB for the OS Streaming Service. Still you should work to optimize your OS Image, but an upgrade on the Server Side (and of course the WSM Client in the OS Image) could get you some relief.
For customers with active maintenance the new version will be available in the Self Service Portal shortly.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Bazzoka
2 Bronze

thank you for your reply

but there is any thing to do to solve this problem now ?

and is it a bug or what ?

thx

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
mhaase-2015
3 Argentium

WSM 6.0.0 has just been posted

No, this is not a bug at all.
If your OS Image is not well optimized this can result in long boot times because the amount of data which is transfered between the client and server and also eat up server ressources quickly.
Please follow our suggestions above to find the root cause.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Bazzoka
2 Bronze

Hi,

I configured this suggestion and configured the MAX size to 50 and the boot is OK but all users feels slow motion when the work

thank you

Tags (2)
0 Kudos