Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2015 07:00

OS Streaming Problem(s)

OS Streaming Problem(s)

Thanks in advance for any help that gets me over yet other WYSE challenge. Here are my simple details:

1 Site - 1 server
Core Server - Windows Server 2008 R2 x64
WSM - 3.6.1
Client - Z00D
OS - Windows 7 x32

This is a fresh server configuration. I have created an OS image that will not stream completely to my Z00D client. From the WSM I can see that it get authenticated and the device status changes to 'Starting OS'. The device actually gets to the starting Windows screen, but then stops/freezes. Any ideas???

7 Posts

The fact that the client is hanging at the Windows splash screen does indicate that there may be an issue with the NIC driver in your OS image.

The Z class device uses a PCI-E NIC and Windows 7 changes information for this NIC from client to client and will cause this problem. If you are using Windows 7 RTM, check out this hot fix - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2344941. If you are using Windows 7 SP1, check out this hot fix - http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;2550978. A quick way to determine if this is the case is to try and stream your OS image back to the client you used as the reference device where you captured the OS image from to begin with. Please note that you have to apply these hot fixes BEFORE capturing your OS image.

7 Posts

I just saw in another post, that someone was able to apply the hotfix to a SP1 build while streaming the image in private mode so that you do not have to re-capture the OS image. Please make sure to have a backup copy of your OS image before doing this in case something goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by  BSquared  View Post

This is a fresh server configuration. I have created an OS image that will not stream completely to my Z00D client. From the WSM I can see that it get authenticated and the device status changes to 'Starting OS'. The device actually gets to the starting Windows screen, but then stops/freezes. Any ideas???

I had the same problem once, that happened because the NIC was not properly mounted after OS PXE boot, so the virtual disk came offline before OS booted up completely. I solved updating the Realtek network card drivers to the latest version before capturing the image to WSM. On Z00D I see "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" driver version 7.32.111.2010 (11/11/2010).
HTH!

23 Posts

Ok my streaming issues seem to have been resolved, but I wanted to post my resolution so that nobody else will have to go through this. My streaming issue stemmed from not having the correct NIC driver .dll files even though I had the updated driver. Specifically, there are 4 files when you look Device Management>Network Adapters>Driver Tab>Driver Details. I was missing the OSMNF.sys file after I updated the NIC drivers. According to WYSE, this happens if you install the WSM Client before you update your NIC drivers.
I don't know if I have enough knowledge to suggest a "best" practice, but I would do the following next time:
1. Load the Windows 7 OS on the reference device
2. Run Microsoft updates and SP1
3. Run the suggested HOT fix earlier in this thread
4. Download and run WYSE update files (may not include most updated Realtek drive, so go to the manufacturer's website)
5. Once you have a pristine image, run the WSM Client on your device
6. Create your OS image, configure image on WSM, and stream back to reference device

I cannot thank the WYSE engineers enough for helping me through this problem. Please mark this thread as resolved.

23 Posts

Thanks rnance for the suggestions! I am running Windows 7 SP1 so I downloaded and installed the hotfix on my reference device. I decided to create a new OS image for giggles, but my issue remains the same.
On another note, I also receiving Windows Error Recovery screens with the following error: 0xc000000e - Boot selection failed because the required device is inaccessible. What am I missing?

32 Posts

I've had this in my lab with the R00L clients, in my case I was trying to stream an OS to the devices that was not captured from that device. Since I could not use Driver Injection because of Wireless useage (check administrators guide, driver injection), and the UniPlat tool didn't work at all, I had to open the device and connect a disk to it, then install windows to that disk, update drivers, capture image and then stream it back. That solved my problem, so drivers.

23 Posts

Thanks for the response Simone. Unfortunately, my NIC driver is up to date so I need to keep looking for the problem. I might try making another image to see if that helps.

23 Posts

***BUMP***
After applying the above suggestions and creating a new OS image, I am still unable to stream the image back to my reference device. When the reference device starts, a Windows Error Recovery screen appears which prompts me to start in safe mode, safe mode w/networking, safe mode w/command prompt, or normally. Choosing to start normally gets me to the Windows logo / Starting Windows screen and that is it.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

1 Message

June 3rd, 2015 10:00

32 Posts

June 3rd, 2015 10:00

Ive encoutered this problem again, now on a Dell Lat. E5510. Im gonna try and follow your list here BSquared and see if it solves the problem. Exactly the same problem, splash windows, loading forever. Before that its asking me to repair my system or boot normally. Both end up with the splash.

I had two files in the driver details tab, the driver (sys) file for the networkcard with windows 7 and the OSMNF-file. Now im going to capture the disk and see if i can boot 

Oh yes! Great Success! the processlist from BSquared works like a charm. Even solved my problem with degraded network speeds. I had to get my NIC driver directly from the broadcom websites.

FYI: I did get the start windows normally question at the first boot from the streamed image, as long as the image is left on "no cache" (save changes) i did not get this again.

No Events found!