Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

June 9th, 2015 06:00

WSM Client Boot without DHCP?

WSM Client Boot without DHCP?

Hello ,

I am Planning to test WSM 3.0 for my Environment, As per my Company policy we donot use DHCP . I would like to know if there is some way I can use WSM client boot with out DHCP?. Please let me know.

Thanks.

9 Posts

Some companies choose this strategy to minimize the possibility of unwanted computers.

As ahaberg says, this is described in the admin guide, but afaik it requires you to have some sort of local boot media, either USB based or local harddrive/floppy/CD/DVD.

28 Posts

Yes, it is described in the WSM Administrator Guide.

On a side note; why on earth don't you use DHCP?

200 Posts

You can also use static DHCP reservations and assign "fixed IPs" to MAC-Adresses manually.
This way you have full control which devices get what IP from the DHCP Server.

28 Posts

June 9th, 2015 07:00

Agreed mhaase, this will provide the same level of security and reducing the management overhead. For extra protection you can also implement some form of Network Access Protection. However, this is a bit of a diversion from the poster's original question...

In my oppinion, allthough it is possible to use WSM without DHCP with local boot media, some of the benefits with this technology gets lost on the way. One of the purposes (at least, for us) is to remove the need for local storage all together.

No Events found!