Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

1 Message

September 25th, 2018 00:00

Explain Wyse architecture

Hello there!

I've been given an half finished implementation of a environment Wyse terminals and Wyse Management Suite.
I've been going thought the administrator guides but I can't get a overview of how everything should be set up.
Somewhat urgent questions I have are:
- The Wyse clients have PXE and Merlin boot options. What is Merlin?
- How do you load a Windows (WES) image on the Wyse clients?
- How do you create a new image? Do you read this from a prepped Wyse client, or you select a blank Windows10 image and add applications and settings and "build" a configuration this way via Wyse Management Suite?
- Does Wyse Management Suite do this via PXE and/or Merlin completely remotely, or does it require keyboard interaction?
- There is an OEM license sticker on each system. How are Windows licenses managed? Do I need to read them from the sticker or is this programmed into the Wyse client somehow?
- How to you update a registry setting or add or delete a shortcut from the desktop?

Any answers and reference documentation very welcome :-)

3 Apprentice

• 

704 Posts

September 25th, 2018 04:00

@nexejo wrote:

Hello there!

I've been given an half finished implementation of a environment Wyse terminals and Wyse Management Suite.
I've been going thought the administrator guides but I can't get a overview of how everything should be set up.
Somewhat urgent questions I have are:
- The Wyse clients have PXE and Merlin boot options. What is Merlin?

Merlin is the imaging partition of the device.  This is where the device boots to when it is performing imaging.   
- How do you load a Windows (WES) image on the Wyse clients?

You can load an image onto the device using either the Wyse USB Imaging tool, or Wyse Management Suite.  The USB image tool as it sounds is a utility which is installed on a PC, and allows you to prepare a USB flash drive to either receive or deliver a image to a device.  WMS allows you to capture and deliver the image over teh network.

- How do you create a new image? Do you read this from a prepped Wyse client, or you select a blank Windows10 image and add applications and settings and "build" a configuration this way via Wyse Management Suite?

Typically you would start with a device, customize it to your needs, then capture to an image either a USB drive or WMS.  If you wanted to start with a clean, updated image they can be downloaded from the Dell support site. You could then turn around and deliver that image to new devices.  Just as with PC's the windows image needs to be properly "prepared" for capture.  Each device and image is a bit unique in how you do this, but typically there is a script in c:\windows\setup that is run just prior to capturing the image which generalizes the device and prepares it for image capture.

- Does Wyse Management Suite do this via PXE and/or Merlin completely remotely, or does it require keyboard interaction?

Merlin is used by WMS. There is keyboard interaction for capture, and for delivery keep in mind it delivers a prepared image that usually requires some touch to be completed.

- There is an OEM license sticker on each system. How are Windows licenses managed? Do I need to read them from the sticker or is this programmed into the Wyse client somehow?

In the case of Win10 the licenses are embedded in the BIOS and applied automatically to the image on the device.

- How to you update a registry setting or add or delete a shortcut from the desktop?

This depends.  If the device is a member of AD, you can leverage GPO's or scripting from AD.  If the device is maanged by SCCM, you can leverage SCCM.  If the device is maanged by WMS, you can use scripting and policies in WMS.  You can also do it manually on the device :)

Any answers and reference documentation very welcome :-)

No Events found!