Highlighted
bill.unger
1 Copper

Extremely slow connecting to RDP

Extremely slow connecting to RDP

We are testing Wyse C30LE devices against Windows 2008 R2 Terminal servers. I have tested them against 3 different servers on 2 different networks and the results are all the same:

When I click "Connect" for Remote Desktop Session, the RDP client will display "Connecting to <servername>..." for about a minute and a half before finally connection.

I have toggled all available options on the client, used the IP and the Hostname, all with no results.

When connecting to the same terminal servers from a full workstation, the connection is nearly instaneous.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Bill

Tags (2)
4 Replies
Highlighted
RustyMonkey
2 Iron

RE: Extremely slow connecting to RDP

If I were you, I'd stay away from Windows CE devices. Look for Linux or Thin OS if you are more interested in price, or WES 7/8 if you are looking for performance.

Tags (2)
Highlighted
justjd
1 Copper

We are also having this problem on Windows 7 embedded. This is a really frustrating problem and no one seems to have an answer.

Tags (2)
Highlighted
bill.unger
1 Copper

My problem turned out to be the authentication method. Our servers are not configured for Network Level Authentication and the connection setup on the thin client provided 2 options: NLA or Smart Card Redirection. 

Changing the method to Smart Card Redirection ( and then restarting the Wyse after making the change ) fixed the problem for us...

Tags (2)
RustyMonkey
2 Iron

justjd,
You may want to post your concerns in the WES7 instead of the Windows CE forum if you want an answer.

Tags (2)