Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

July 8th, 2015 04:00

New to this and a ton of questions about fresh XPe install

New to this and a ton of questions about fresh XPe install.

Hello All:

So, I'm new to this. I flashed a V90LE with a fresh copy of XPe, build 625.

I think I did pretty well for a first attempt flashing a new image, but I need help to go any further.

MANY questions. The most important ones are how to turn off the write filter, and where is "my computer" or "system" in control panel.

1) On the USB firmware tool, I checked only upgrade the flash image. I did not check to upgrade the BIOS and the CMOS, I left those unchecked. Should I have checked them?

2) If I plug in a USB flash drive, a window opens with the contents of the USB flash drive. Other than that, "My Computer" is missing from all the usual places, and there is no "system" icon in the control panel. Is there a way to install missing XP components, or settings somewhere to make "my computer" show so I could see the C drive and how much space is left on it, and other similar drive information?

3) I see a green dot in the system tray for the write filter, but when I try to turn the write filter off it says I don't have permission, or I don't know the right password, something like that. How do I turn off the write filter?

4) How do I set up or configure Tight VNC so I can view the Wyse desktop remotely on my local network?

5) When the machine first boots, there is a bluetooth icon in the system tray, but when I point to it, it disappears?

6) During the installation of the fresh image, build 625, a black command window opens and it tells you what the old partition size was, and what the new one is, and it tries to set up Windows but fails, I also saw it trying to ping 132.237.250.50 without success. What is all that about? The XP seems to be set up fairly well, with the exception of the missing "my computer." Was I supposed to do something more that would have allowed this command window to set up the new image more completely than it already did?

Lee

67 Posts

You need to login as administrator to have full access to the OS. Logout as the auto logged in User account and hold down the shift key during the logout process the system will stop and present you with a login prompt. The default administrator account password is Wyse#123 (older images may have a password of Administrator with a capitol A). Once logged in as administrator you can disable the write filter and access the system and my computer. 

1) You should image the unit BIOS and CMOS with the image so that they all match what was tested at the factory, so yes you should check those boxes. 
2) Login as Administrator to access the file system. The image is designed to be locked down for users to access remote sessions (RDP, ICA, etc...). It's design is not intended to be a PC with total access for the user. 
3) Login as Administrator to disable the WF. The system will reboot. 
4) The system already has VNC. The password for the VNC session is Wyse with a capitol W. Login as administrator to edit the VNC settings. 
5) The blue tooth driver is part of the image, but if blue tooth hard is not detected it will disable the icon in the system tray. The V90LE doesn't have any blue tooth hardware built in. 
6) The DOS command prompt you see when the image finishes is the image process detecting the drive size and expanding to the full size, plus a few other things. The ping is to check if the unit is still at the factory. If it gets a response then it will shut down instead of reboot.

59 Posts

JP -

I really appreciate it. And, very well explained too! I just figured out the day before you posted some of the above.

I was wondering if the VNC password was Wyse like in the 9450, so that is helpful to know. On #6, that expanding the partition is similar to something that Norton Ghost does. I thought that was going on, but thank you for clarifiying that.

If you have it handy, I need more info on working with and setting up WSI or WDM. Is one better to use over the other for my situation where I'm not doing this over a network and only deploying on one machine at a time?

Now that I'm logged in as an administrator, I seem to be finding mostly everything I need is already installed. I read for the V90 something about an update for the FBWF, but not sure if I need that, or if there are any other modules or updates that are often installed after the fresh image?

I was thinking about taking the 2GB flash drive out of the 9450 and putting it into the V90LE, but I don't know if they are the same type of drive?

Most importantly, could you explain what Ramdrive is for and why they say to install new programs from a USB flash drive and not to copy the installer files to C? I'm guessing Ramdrive is for not write protected temporary storage and that it gets erased every time the terminal reboots, but more info would be very helpful!

THANK YOU,

Lee

67 Posts

WSI is not really a network friendly method. It is designed to use a hub and local DHCP to PXE an image to a device or two. If you want over the network imaging, in production, then use WDM. WSI uses TFPT and DHCP turbo over a hub to pick up the PXE broadcast and image the unit. WDM uses IIS FTP and HTTP to mass image patch and push packages. Checkout the install guide for WDM to learn more about how to set it up. It's a simple setup. Install IIS and configure following the install guide. Tell the units where the server is, either locally editing the WDM applet in the control panel or use 186 and 192 DHCP option tags. Once the units find the server, you can manage them from the WDM console.

The write filter is a Microsoft product. The EWF is older and is sector based, meaning that it will protect the entire C drive, no exceptions. The FBWF is newer and allows for exclusions so that you can protect some folder and files but let others be writable.

The 9450 is 3 inch IDE where the V90 is 2.5 inch EIDE. The flash will not fit.

The Ramdrive is a small portion of ram that acts like a regular drive. Its purpose is to take temp files and folder to prevent the WF from filling up during normal use. The WF is also RAM that the system will write to from boot up until the system is rebooted. This means part of the system boot is in the WF, so it can't be overwritten as you need more space, otherwise the system would blue screen at some point. So the WF will fill up and cause the system to reboot to get its space back. Temp writes would unnecessarily use up this valuable space in the WF, so the need for the ramdrive.

59 Posts

Thank you JP

JP,

I really appreciate your help big time. It's invaluable, and no one else was willing to answer!

What I want to do is sell the 9450, and possibly upgrade the V90LE to 2GB of flash. I assume that is the maximum flash the V90LE can handle?

Could you give me an example of a correct brand, size, pins, requirments, etc. for a 2GB flash drive for the V90LE? I know you said it's EIDE 3 inch.

Your answer is very helpful, because it tells me I need to sell the 9450 as it is, which is really helpful to know.

I was shocked how well the V90LE set up went, virtually no problems at all. The biggest issue is the HAI Omni software I need on there to access my alarm panel requires .net Framework 2.0 to run, and .net Framework 2.0 is about 100MB of extra files that have to be loaded, when the HAI Omni software would otherwise only add about 20MB at the most. But, there is still about 300MB of space left on the 1GB flash drive, with everything I need installed.

Is there a way to set the V90LE to boot to the administrator log on instead of the user logon, and is that a bad idea? The 9450 I have is booting to the administrator log on, but I don't know why or how!

This has become back burner, because it looks like I can sell the 9450 as-is. But I will want to read on this some more. I'm sorry I don't fully get what you're saying yet. You seem to be leaning toward a WDM approach. If I understand, WSI is more of a single unit / local approach. I know what TFTP is because of my experiments with Linksys wireless routers, so I have some idea of the concepts involved there, but not a full understanding.

I don't want to repeat the question, but wouldn't WSI be a better choice for me to pursue in this situation, just wanting to do a one-time load of a fresh image on to the 9450?

THANK YOU,

Lee B.

67 Posts

July 9th, 2015 01:00

The 9450 has a IDE connection like a regular PC hard drive would use. 
The V90LE uses the EIDE, like a 2.5 laptop hard drive uses. 

2 gig is the max flash for the V90LE.

You can setup the auto login user to be administrator in the control panel using the "Winlog" applet. Make sure the WF is off so your changes will remain after a reboot. 

WSI would be a better choice for imaging the one 9450 so you can sell it. You can use USB imaging with the V90LE. See Solution 21965: Documentation - Wyse USB Firmware Tool 1.15 in the Wyse KB.

59 Posts

July 9th, 2015 05:00

Thank you. I read the KB on 1.15, that is how I was able to image the V90's I have and the V90LE.

I'm trying to figure out where I can buy a 2GB flash drive for the V90's and the V90LE, but I'm still not sure exactly what to get.

I'm also not sure what will happen if I try to do USB imaging on a brand new blank flash drive? Will the USB Firmware tool still install an XPe image, or will it freeze up because it detects there is not anything on the blank flash drive? I thought I read somewhere it's hard to change from Linux to XPe or vice versa because the USB Firmware tool detects that the operating system you are trying to install is different than the one already installed. So that made me wonder if flashing a new XPe image to a blank drive causes any special problems?

I need to figure out which 2GB flash drives will fit though, first.

Lee

67 Posts

July 9th, 2015 05:00

If you buy the Wyse official part number it will come with Xpe preloaded. 

FLASH,2GB,V90,XPE,US,ROHS - preloaded with XP build 920297-16L

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Wys...duct%20Catalog

Here is the RAM in case you want that too.
1G DDR2 RAM Upgrade kit for Vx0L and Vx0LE 920297-04L

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Wys...duct%20Catalog

1 Message

July 9th, 2015 06:00

Just for completeness regarding aftermarket flash drives
I know this is an old thread.

You should be able to push the Wyse image to any flash or hard drive that you can figure how to install, using either a USB thumb drive or WDM. Standard 44 pin flash modules, like the OEM Apacer modules, from any manufacturer should work. You aren't limited to 2GB flash size, I've successfully used 4GB, 8GB, and various-sized laptop HDDs in many different Wyse TCs.

No doubt somewhere you could find a flash drive that doesn't work, but I've use Apacer, Transcend, Kingspec, EDC, and a few other brands I've forgotten, and have only found one instance (an unusual Kingspec module from China, with no Master/Slave jumper) of a drive that didn't work.

59 Posts

July 9th, 2015 06:00

Thank you JP.

I did a ton of research to find those Wyse part numbers about 3 weeks ago.

But, it looked like if it could be determined where to get a compatible drive, maybe Transcend brand, it would be a lot cheaper to buy a blank drive and push a the Wyse image to it. It looked like blank 2GB drives might be $30-40, at least for the 9450. I don't know about the V90LE.

L.

No Events found!