1 Copper

Unable to remote into WYSE S90 Terminals

Exclamation Unable to remote into WYSE S90 Terminals

Hello,
I work with 6 WYSE Winterm S90 terminals (model: SX0) and many Dell PC's converted to thin clients, which all connect to a Windows 2003 Terminal Server. I regularly have to remote into our thin clients for maintenance or troubleshooting, which I do using Dameware Mini Remote v.7.4 (when I need the user to show me an issue) or Remote Desktop (when I don't require interaction form the user). I have recently discovered I am unable to remote into the WYSE Terminals using Remote Desktop or Dameware Mini Remote v.7.4. They ping fine, work on the network fine, and they are in Active Directory. They also have the latest firmware, windows update, etc.

Another odd thing I noticed with all of the WYSE terminals is that when I change the power setting which puts a monitor to sleep after twenty minutes (default setting) to never and then log out of my Admin account it resets back? This is not an issue with any other thin clients I work with. Does anyone else experience this?

Does anyone else have this issue and possibly have a fix? If more information is needed please let me know.

Thank you

4 Replies
Highlighted
2 Iron

RE: Unable to remote into WYSE S90 Terminals

Use VNC, it is built into the image. The password is Wyse with a capitol W. 
If you want to use dameware, then you will have to load that on the thin client. You cannot RDP into the terminal.

Highlighted
2 Iron

The Netxclean tool is deleting the profiles between logouts. You will want to disable this tool if you are in the domain or add the particular user to the exclusion list to prevent its profile from being deleted. 
See Wyse KB Solution 10621: Windows XPe - NetXClean.

Highlighted
1 Copper

I am already using the WYSE terminals. I don't require a login. They are already on the internal network and being used, I just can remote into them using Dameware or RDP. VNC is not an option as this is a corporate environment and the preferred methods are ones I have already stated. Dameware pushes its client to the PC if it doesn’t have it. Which is what happens each time but then once the install is completed it fails to connect.
Could this possible be because the hard drive lock is enabled? I think I may have just answered my own question. I will have to test and report back.
Also as for your second post I will look into that, thank you.

Highlighted
1 Copper

@jpropsner 
Thank you for the reference to the NetXClean, unfortunately it wasn't very straight forward so I just shut the service off all together. It shouldn't matter since there is a HDD write lock enabled anyways. But the setting has not reset since I did that!

As for the remote issue with Dameware and RDP. I built a WYSE terminal like I always do but stopped before I got to the point of converting it into a thin client and enabling HDD write lock. This time I used Dameware Mini Remote to remote in right away. The Dameware client installed itself remotely and I was then able to successfully remote in each time. Next I converted it into a thin client and enabled the HDD lock. So far I still have had no issues with using Dameware to remote in. 

Now for some not so good news....I still cannot get RDP to work...Not a real big deal since Dameware is working but I am still curious as to why? Is it because of what the old WYSE supports for RDP? I am unsure but when I have time I will continue the hunt for a permanent solution.