Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

SA

May 20th, 2015 05:00

Wyse R90LW - Compatibility for Video Add-In Cards on PCIe ??

Wyse R90LW - Compatibility for Video Add-In Cards on PCIe ??

I recently acquired 3 Wyse R90LW's on eBay. They are all working great so far and I don't really have any complaints. I've updated them all to the latest BIOS that I saw online (1.0J-0T51; date 8/27/10).

What I'm running into is that I seem to be hitting a PCIe compatibility issue with off-the-shelf add-in cards. I just picked up an eVGA nVidia GT 210 card at my local computer store. When I install it and set the BIOS to use the add-in card for video (the Advanced-->Primary Display option in the BIOS) then the machine hangs during POST.

Since all the rest of the machine is AMD/ATi, I thought that maybe there is some kind of compatibility limitation in that regard but I don't see anything stating such in any documentation I've found.

I was about to pick up an ATi card to see if it would change anything but I thought I'd post here to get more insight. I'm a newbie to these Wyse machines so I apologize if this is a stupid question.

If it matters, my use-case for the add-in card is to get something that can drive HDMI video+audio on a single cable.

623 Posts

May 20th, 2015 06:00

This setup was never tested and the product is end-of-life. I don't think is going to work.

Roger Montalvo 
Visit our Dell Wyse Thin Client Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at www.wyse.com/KB
Visit our Dell Wyse PocketCloud Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/forums
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

also, if it it helps, I hit during boot to see the POST messages. I watch it count the memory. Then, it says:

Code:

System BIOS Shadowed
Video BIOS Shadowed
Fixed Disk 0: 

Mouse initialized

Then, it hangs forever.

Quote Originally Posted by RMontalvo View Post

This setup was never tested and the product is end-of-life. I don't think is going to work.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm a bit confused. What *exactly* are you saying is untested? Are you saying that nVidia add-in cards were untested? If so, I understand that. Or, are you saying that PCIe add-in cards are untested? If that's the case, then *all* of the marketing for these devices should never have been released to the public because they all expressly expound on the availability of the PCIe add-in slot.

I know that the device is end-of-life. That's why I'm posting here rather than trying to open an official support ticket.

No Events found!