Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2015 03:00

X90L BIOS Setup password

X90L BIOS Setup password

I have recently bought an X90L which turns out to have a password set on the BIOS setup screens. The person who sold it to me did not know the password.

The hash code of the password is 15015.

I'd like to find a support contact within Wyse who can provide me with a string that matches that hash code - a work of moments if you have right the program at your fingertips.

The Wyse support pages suggest:
1. Contact your Wyse reseller - this didn't come from a reseller.
2. Register for on-line support - Registration appears to be for companies, I am a private individual.
3. Contact a Wyse Service Centre - I assume these are all about getting hardware fixed.

Any suggestions/contacts?

David

623 Posts

The default BIOS password for all Wyse devices is "Fireport" and it's case sensitive.

Roger Montalvo 
Visit our Dell Wyse Thin Client Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at www.wyse.com/KB
Visit our Dell Wyse PocketCloud Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/forums
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

13 Posts

release battery on your mainboard

4 Posts

I should have added an alternative request...

Do you have an X90L (or LE) and are prepared to give a few minutes of your time? One thing that may help me solve the problem myself is having three password/hash pairs from the BIOS.

So if you could:
1. Set a BIOS Setup password (eg 1234, abcd, qwerty or whatever)
2. Reset the machine and hit F2 to enter the BIOS.
3. Type something else into the password field three times.
4. Record the 5 digit decimal number that is displayed.
5. Power off,back on, hit F2. and enter the right password.
6. Change the password and repeat two more times.
7. Send me (or post) the three password/number pairs.

Thank you.

4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RMontalvo View Post

The default BIOS password for all Wyse devices is "Fireport" and it's case sensitive.

I should have mentioned that "Fireport" does not work in this case. I guess there is no 'backdoor' password. If there was there would be no need to show the hash value it has stored.

4 Posts

July 9th, 2015 04:00

There is NO backup battery on the motherboard (or CMOS memory). Removing mains power and the laptop's battery has no effect. The password/config info is held in an eeprom - I think the one associated with the ethernet controller chip. Unfortunately the standard Linux driver does not support reading/writing this data so I can't see what's there/change it using ethtool unless I write my own driver - something I'd like to avoid doing. My poke around in the BIOS code has revealed that it is a CRC16 hash of "something". Using keyboard scan codes or the corresponding ASCII characters doesn't work. The likelihood is that there is a seed value - so I have 64000 odd possibilities for that! One known password/hash pair should let me crack this.
David

No Events found!