Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J2

May 18th, 2015 07:00

D90D7 Windows 7 Usable memory

D90D7 Windows 7 Usable memory

We are looking at a demo unit for the D90D7 which runs Windows 7. All settings should be the factory defaults out of the box. The unit has 4 GB RAM. In System Properties it displays 4 GB (2.35 GB usable). Task manager shows 2404 MB total physical memory. We want to understand where the other 1.6 GB of RAM is being used. 384 MB is allocated for video in the BIOS. There is a 100 MB RAM disk and 128 MB setup for FBWF. I’m not sure if that should take away from the total memory or just available memory. Either way we are still missing over 1 GB of RAM. Our account rep and pre-sales engineer says it’s normal, but I don’t want to pay for a 4 GB unit and only get just over 2 GB. Can anyone suggest where the missing RAM might be allocated?

May 18th, 2015 08:00

I am having the same issue.

Noted that the original 2gig stick shows as "2 gig" in windows, but the new 4gig stick shows as 2.35 gig

I dropped the frame buffer in the bios from 384mb 64mb which then took my ram total (with the 4gig stick in the system) to 2.66 gig

Surely this is not to do with being a 32 gig system, unless windows embedded standard has issues reading ram?

Any support would be greatly appriciated

Quote Originally Posted by jkoenig View Post

I’m glad I’m not the only one that finds that unacceptable. HP was the same way. I talked to engineers with both companies. Support was also limited because when I asked them to look at a 4 GB unit in their office, neither had access to one (That says a lot). One of the two companies finally forwarded me to a Windows rep who agreed this didn’t seem right. He said it wasn’t a 32 bit OS limitation making 4 GB 2.x GB (We all agree it does make it 3.x GB). The Windows rep then forwarded me to an AMD rep. who also agreed something was wrong. Unfortunately they never came back with an answer.

Yeah wow, that is just unreal? A Known issue, and no one has a fix or answer? Except to go 64 bit, which isn't necessary if it would just register 3gig+

I’m glad I’m not the only one that finds that unacceptable. HP was the same way. I talked to engineers with both companies. Support was also limited because when I asked them to look at a 4 GB unit in their office, neither had access to one (That says a lot). One of the two companies finally forwarded me to a Windows rep who agreed this didn’t seem right. He said it wasn’t a 32 bit OS limitation making 4 GB 2.x GB (We all agree it does make it 3.x GB). The Windows rep then forwarded me to an AMD rep. who also agreed something was wrong. Unfortunately they never came back with an answer.

Thank you for the reply! Yes and no. You are correct that 32-bit can't see the full 4 GB, but 2.35 is nearly half that. My desktop runs 32-bit Windows 7 with 4GB of physical RAM, but it still sees 3.43 GB. You may have thought that was a typo, but the thin client really says 2.35 GB.

623 Posts

Jkoenig,
32 bit systems can only address a maximum of 3Gb, regardless of the amount of physical memory. The D90D7 is based on Windows Embedded Standard 7, which uses the same code as Windows 7. If you want to use the full 4 GB, you will need to switch to a 64bit version like the D90D7P. For more information on memory limits, please review the following information: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx 

Roger Montalvo 
Visit our Dell Wyse Thin Client Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at www.wyse.com/KB
Visit our Dell Wyse PocketCloud Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/forums
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1 Message

Follow up

Was a solution ever offered?

December 18th, 2018 08:00

I recently came across this Wyse Thin Clients with Win 7 embedded.
This is what I have found.

Windows 7 should access 4GB, a bit less because of I/O Memory.
If PAE is not properly enabled, the bootloader has an option for this.

On command prompt try this:

bcdedit /set [{ID}] pae ForceEnable

There is an article in the microsoft knowledge base, stating Win 7 accesses 4GB and msconfig can be of help.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/978610/the-usable-memory-may-be-less-than-the-installed-memory-on-windows-7-b

But on Dell Wyse client this is Win 7 embedded.

There are options in the registry simply limiting the memory available for applications. But this is deep into the system. May be this is not adviseable.

I have bought one of these thin clients for testing. I simply switched to an other OS Version.

No Events found!