Unable to rename clients
We have two client machines that we are unable to rename. They are Windows7 Embedded machines. Using both the WyseDeviceManager and the normal Windows way of renaming a PC, the names never stick.
The clients are not connected to a domain. When adding the clients to the domain, it shows up as the new name in AD but the computer continually shows the old name.
Anyone else run into this issue?
Apparently I gave bad advice before. We are now working on customizing the WES7 image for our uses and are running into the same problem. The xwfile command does not appear to work with the new image after it is applied. We also can't rename the devices through the WDM server or conventional means after they've been imaged. Has anyone run across a solution for this yet? We are currently using build 827 (at the request of Wyse support) lightly customized for our purposes.
Another thing we found was that if you completely remove/disable the NetXClean service it can do a few weird things along that line too. According to Wyse support, the best bet is to leave the service, but edit the .ini so that it doesn't actually clean any profiles. Give that a shot! It worked for us on the WES7 workstations we were having trouble with.
I found my problem was caused by 2 services that were set to 'Manual' and 'Stopped'. Turn off FBWF and check that 'HAgent' & 'Client Cleanup' services are set to 'Automatic' and 'Started'. Turn FBWF back on
Also take a look at: https://support.wyse.com/OA_HTML/csk...VUpIPkjavftqfQ..