Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2015 10:00

Z90Q8 running out of disk space

I need more space on my thin clients!

I have about 100 of the Dell Z90Q8 thin clients.  My users are putting waaay too much data on the drives and I was wondering how Dell suggests I fix this.  I was also wondering if maybe downgrading these from win8 to win7 would allow more free space on the internal 16GB drive...

560 Posts

March 24th, 2015 13:00

JBARLOCKER,

more than likely you are using these thin clients as computers. The purpose of the thin clients is to configured them the way you want it and install the least amount of programs on it. All programs should be installed on the server so that if you experience a TC failure, you don't have to install anything, just connect to your network, configure your server parameters and you are off and running. If your users are storing data on your thin clients, you may need to review your policies or install an SSD drive instead. Downgrading to WES7 will not really address this problem.

Remember that the 16GB is also used for Windows Updates.

Recommendations:

1- Prevent users from installing software by changing the default Administrator password.

2- Enable the Write Filter. This will prevent users from storing files locally. Files should be stored on the server or an external drive, not the thin client

3 Posts

March 24th, 2015 14:00

I am using Terminal Servers for these thin clients to connect to.  The vast majority of the users programs are on those terminal servers, but there are some programs that are specific to the lumber industry that wont work in a terminal server environment. the two programs that I need to install will take up about a half a gig of space.

560 Posts

April 6th, 2015 15:00

This may be just the way you are installing the software. Please review the article at the following url for the correct way of installing the software on a thin client:

http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/04/SLN290997/EN

3 Posts

April 28th, 2015 11:00

that link is dead. 

560 Posts

April 28th, 2015 11:00

Please try again from a different computer or location. I verified the link and it works for me.

No Events found!