Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

May 12th, 2015 07:00

HDX not working on Wyse Xenith Client

Question HDX not working on Wyse Xenith Client

Hello,

we bought a Wyse Xenith Client to use it with XenDesktop 4 in our LAN environment.
Unfortunately the redirection of multimedia content is not working.

If I open an flash video in the browser, the performance is very slow.
Also opening an WMV-File, the performance is not acceptable.

If I access the Windows 7 Desktop from my local PC (with Citrix Receiver), the video redirection is working. Also when I access the desktop from home with my standard internet connection, the redirection is working.

Do I need to configure additional steps on the Wyse Xenith terminal?
I haven't found settings in the admin guide.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Tobias

167 Posts

May 12th, 2015 07:00

Hi Tobias- Is it possible for you to upload the WMV file you are trying to test with for us to take a look? You can use something like box.net (its free) to just post a link here. My guess is that the WMV file you are using may be something like 720p (is it the wildlife video default in Win7)? Note that with Xenith, multiimedia up to 3MBps bitrate is recommended, anything beyond that may be too high for the CPU. We have a new platform (R10L) which is based on the same Wyse Zero engine as Xenith but has a much more powerful CPU for higher end use cases.

As for Flash, Xenith is a zero client so it doesnt have an OS to install the Adobe Flash player so we rely on the server side rendering. There are some optimizations you can do on the server side of XD4 to provide a smoother experience (set MaxFPS to 15 and make audio highest priority to provide audio sync). I will try to find the exact KB article on Citrix if I can and post later

167 Posts

May 28th, 2015 06:00

Optimizing Flash Playback with Wyse Xenith and XenDesktop 4

Found the info:

First off recommended VM specs:
XP 2vCPU, 1G RAM
Win 7 2vCPU , 2G RAM

Next, refer to following Citrix article:

http://support.citrix.com/article/ctx124516

Note: You can ignore the Progressive Display part since just changing the audio priority helps quite a bit without having to compress image further. Another thing I have seen help especially with high quality flash is to change the max FPS to something like 15 or 18 (instead of the default 24). This can be done in the registry of the VM:

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX123543

167 Posts

Not that with the Xenith device, its recommended to use video with bitrates of 3Mbps or below.

167 Posts

Stephane- What multimedia content are you trying to use? As mentioned in my previous post's links, it is recommended that your content be under 3MBps otherwise it will overload your zero client's CPU. If you need to play multimedia that is above 3MBps it is recommended that you try one of the more powerful devices from Wyse (the R10L) which is based on same Wyse Zero engine found in Xenith but has a bit more flexibility (one of which being wider choice of hardware)

For flash, did you already make the recommended policy changes mentioned above (editing XML to give priority to audio and changing FPS)?

Hi,

I have the same issue even while using the redirection content from the server side.
I have two VMs:
1 - XP 2vCPU, 1G RAM
1 - Win 7 2vCPU , 2G RAM
I did setup the redirection content from server side and the policy is well applied when I open a XenDesktop session with a V12.3 online plug-in on a windows computer.

It doesn't work when I access the same XenDesktop with my Xenith...
Specs :
Model No : C00X
C00X, 128F/512R, XENITH, INTL
Part No : 902196-02L
Serial No : 2NN0J549524

I don't understand how I saw such good performance during demonstation and I'm not able to reproduce it. Did they used a blade pc or computer instead of a VM ?

Hi Hangulo,

I'm trying to use the media I saw during Synergy in San Francisco and in Berlin, the Robotica WMV HD from Microsoft. Of course on the R10L it works very well, but I was looking for the same performance on the Xenith. Did they use a specific setup during Synergy and demonstration ?

No Events found!