Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 2nd, 2015 09:00

Windows Multipoint Server 2011 Premium in Hyper-V and Zero Client E02

Windows Multipoint Server 2011 Premium in Hyper-V and Zero Client E02

Did not see a sub-forum for WMS 2011 so I posted this thread here.

Been evaluating WMS 2011 Premium with a Wyse E02 Zero Client in our lab.
My setup:
Physical Machine (PM) = Windows Server 2008 R2 w/SP1 running Hyper-V
Virtual Machine (VM) = Windows Multipoint Server 2011 Premium
*All drivers (Video, etc.) are current and installed on the PM.

Can connect to the WMS VM via RDP from WinXP and Win7 computers on the LAN and get a user desktop successfully. WMS works perfectly this way.

When attempting to install the Wyse E02 driver in the VM (WMS), I get a warning message that WDDM is not installed. The driver installation does complete however. After the E02 is attached to the LAN and running it shows up as connected in Multipoint Manager but there is no video on the E02. Tried both Wyse E02 drivers available on their downloads website.

I have been trying many different things to get the E02 to display video or the login screen. Can't install any video driver (not to mention WDDM) in the VM because Hyper-V presents a Microsoft virtual display (video) driver that cannot be updated.

Just about ready to give up but need to ask if someone here knows if a Wyse E02 zero client can be used in my environment as stated above?

I suspect that the Wyse E02 will only work when WMS 2011 is installed on a Physical Machine which will allow the video drive to be updated with WDDM. Am I right?

4 Posts

Dell 2950 II Wyse E02 no graphics

I have similar trouble. Dell 2950 II, dual quad-core, 16 GB. Very similar if not identical hardware. First I tried WMS 2011 on VMWare ESXi. No graphics on the e02. I noticed when installing e02 driver that I got a WDDM incompatibility error. Based on google, appeared to be a limitation of on-board display adapter. I was told by Wyse support that MS indicates WMS is not supported in a virtualized environment. 2 strikes, VMWare and display adapter. I since removed virtualization layer and installed OS directly onto hardware. I also installed Asus ati hd6450 and updated drivers. No dice. Still get WDDM incompatibility error. I think the problem is I can't disable on-board display adapter and the two are conflicting. Any ideas?

1 Message

I have the same issue. I used WMS 2011 as the host OS for hyper-v and have two WMS 2011 guest servers running on it. We currently use Ncomputing L300 units but for various reasons the L300 is not meeting the needs of one classroom so I am testing the E02. Our server is all Intel with a Xeon E3-1270. I added an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 300 after getting the WDDM error. I still got the WDDM error and no video on the E02. 
Based on what you guys have done it seems like the V -vs- Physical box install is not the issue. Hey WYSE people, where does that leave us?

4 Posts

Wyse E02 approved rack-mount server list

I'd like to see a list of approved or better yet certified rack-mount servers for use with Wyse E02 zero clients and Windows Multipoint Server 2011.

5 Posts

Our PM is a Dell PowerEdge 2950 II with 2 Intel Xeon E5340 quad core CPUs AND an ATI PCIe Radeon HD5450 video adapter replacing the onboard video. ATI works perfectly on the PM... in fact, video display is much snappier compared to the onboard video adapter.

Called Dell techs and they are saying that the Xeon E5340 does not have "Intel VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT)" native support. Will need to try this on a newer Dell server with more recent Xeons that support EPT. Dell "claims" that I should get video on Wyse E02 zero clients connecting to WMS 2011 running as a guest in Hyper-V. We'll see?

5 Posts

June 3rd, 2015 01:00

mcarroll: Funny thing is that Dell lists the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 300 as an approved video adapter for WMS 2011 and you still got the WDDM error and no video. Maybe OK for thin clients and standard Remote Desktop but not for zero clients.
http://content.dell.com/us/en/enterp...-2011.pdf.aspx

Checked out HP's certification webpage for WMS 2011 with zero client and it shows tower server support Pending and rack server supportNone.
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/s...ows/index.html

Seems like Wyse E02 was released before server mfgs had any boxes to support it? Would help if Wyse lists just a few server model #s that support E02 zero client from Dell, HP or IBM. Better yet, tell us which mfg/model video adapter will work without producing the WDDM error and get E02 video.

Just got a new Dell OptiPlex 990 with Win7 Pro preinstalled. Will load WMS 2011 on this box and see if I can get the E02 to display video. Dell mentions this model OptiPlex as compatible with WMS 2011 although zero client connectivity is not mentioned. Will report back with results.

4 Posts

June 3rd, 2015 02:00

Any results yet on the OptiPlex 990 with E02 displaying video?

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
mcarroll: 

Just got a new Dell OptiPlex 990 with Win7 Pro preinstalled. Will load WMS 2011 on this box and see if I can get the E02 to display video. Dell mentions this model OptiPlex as compatible with WMS 2011 although zero client connectivity is not mentioned. Will report back with results.

5 Posts

Just got reassigned to another project. Our WMS 2011 using the E02 zero clients project is on hold until I can get back to it. Maybe sometime in November 2012. At that time, I will load WMS 2011 on a Dell OptiPlex 990 to see if it works. Will return here with the results.

623 Posts

Take a look at the following document: http://content.dell.com/us/en/enterp...-2011.pdf.aspx 

Roger Montalvo 
Visit our Dell Wyse Thin Client Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at www.wyse.com/KB
Visit our Dell Wyse PocketCloud Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/forums
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No Events found!