Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

April 19th, 2018 10:00

XPS 8500, BIOS A13, big performance hit

Last weekend I updated my XPS 8500 to A13 because it was marked "Urgent".  Since then the machine has slowed very noticeably. (boot time is about the same).  I would like to roll back to A12 to verify this, but when I try to install A12 it won't let me saying A12 is an older version.  How do I go back to A12?

thanks

bigtee

11 Posts

April 19th, 2018 11:00

What happens if I go into the BIOS and reset it?  Will it put the Bios version back to how it was shipped?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 19th, 2018 11:00

This isn't allowed.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 19th, 2018 14:00

The rollback is not possible. Resetting the BIOS will simply reset A13 to its defaults.
What operating system? List all of the currently installed Dell software.

4 Posts

April 19th, 2018 15:00

A11 + USB drive + Rufus + A11.exe /forceit

Make DOS bootable drive, boot with it and write command.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 20th, 2018 05:00

simsim986,

Have successfully done those above instructions on the XPS 8500? Or had you done a similar operation on a different Dell model computer?

4 Posts

April 20th, 2018 06:00

Yes, I have XPS 8500 and changed BIOS on it from A13 to A11. Computer performance restored.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 20th, 2018 07:00

Well spelling counts so you need a space  A11.exe/forceit won't work but A11.exe /forceit might.  I've only seen this with legacy bios however never with UEFI bios.

The options can be invoked with either / or - characters.

Option Description Windows DOS
b9600   No Yes
boot   Yes Yes
classic   Yes No
dwim   No Yes
edvu   Yes No
factory Resets the BIOS to default settings. Yes Yes
fbu Flash without confirmation. No Yes
forceit Forces the BIOS update even if a laptop is not plugged into an AC power source. Yes Yes
forcetype Forces the BIOS update to any Dell model. Yes Yes
info   Yes Yes
jabil Forces the BIOS update even though the system says it is the wrong BIOS version. No Yes
minivu   No Yes
nopause Allows execution of a BIOS update to be completely silent by preventing the BIOS update from prompting when executing. Yes Yes
norburesults No remote BIOS update results. Yes No
noreboot Prevents the PC from rebooting after the BIOS is flashed. Yes Yes
nvram   No Yes
prgboot Most likely is used to disable Microsoft Windows features when flashing from a bootable DOS media. Yes Yes
rburesults Remote BIOS update results. Yes No
readgzfile   No Yes
readromfile   No Yes
reportstatus Writes a dat file containing the current installed BIOS version. Yes No
serout   No Yes
verbose   Yes Yes
wipeall Cleans the DMI Data Area, Password, Service Tag, and Asset Tag. Yes No
wipeclean Clears the ESCD and DMI data tables. This is commonly used to resolve conflict issues and corrupted BIOS settings. Yes No
wipenvram   No Yes
writehdrfile Extracts the header file, that would be flashed to the BIOS, to a separate .hdr file. Yes Yes
writehexfile Extracts the hexadecimal format file, that would be flashed to the BIOS, to a separate .hex file. Yes No
writeromfile Extracts the ROM (Read Only Memory) file, that would be flashed to the BIOS, to a separate .rom file. Yes Yes

Examples

To silently update a system and prevent an automatic reboot:

• package.exe /nopause /noreboot
  • package.exe -nopause -noreboot

To silently update a system and allow an automatic reboot:

• package.exe /nopause
  • package.exe -nopause

4 Posts

April 20th, 2018 08:00

Yes, you are right about space. I edited my previous post.

11 Posts

April 20th, 2018 10:00

simsim986,

I didn't fully follow your procedure.  Can you please provide in more detail your fix?

thanks

bigtee49

4 Posts

April 20th, 2018 11:00

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 20th, 2018 11:00

He made an MSDOS bootable usb flash drive.  Set Bios for Legacy CSM boot and F12 booted from the USB Flash drive and use the /forceit switch with previous bios version.  I don't actually know if this works or not because thats usually a legacy bios command.

The file used was

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01513928M/1/A11.EXE

Run the BIOS update utility from DOS environment from CSM Legacy F12 Boot Mode. The bootable device MUST BE INSTALLED BEFORE YOU TURN THE UNIT ON.

Run the BIOS update utility from DOS environment if UEFI Boot Mode (Secure Boot Enabled) must be DISABLED
NOTE: You will need to provide a bootable DOS USB key.

This executable file does not create the DOS system files.
1. Copy the downloaded file to a bootable DOS USB key.
2. Power on the system, then go to BIOS Setup by pressing F2 and go to Boot > Boot Mode option.
3. Change UEFI Secure Boot Enabled to Secure boot DISABLED Legacy Boot Mode.
4. Go to Exit > Save Changes and restart system.
5. Press F12, then Select USB Storage Drive and Boot to DOS prompt.
6. Run the file by typing copied file name where the executable is located.
7. After BIOS update finished, system will auto reboot to take effect.
7. Go to BIOS Setup by pressing F2 key.
8. Change the Legacy to UEFI from F2 > Boot > Boot Mode.
9. Go to Exit > Save Changes and restart system to go back original UEFI Boot Mode.

Note: Please make sure you suspend BitLocker encryption before updating BIOS on a BitLocker enabled system.

If you don't enable BitLocker on your system then there is no change.

5 Posts

April 23rd, 2018 06:00

The perf hit is expected. The patch fixes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre_(security_vulnerability) by removing some optimizations that had security bugs.

No Events found!