XPS Desktops

Last reply by 06-11-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Add exra USB to xps8950

Hello

I am looking to add some extra USB ports to one of the expansion slots on the back of the New XPS Desktop (8950 ?) is there any specific type of pci card i need to get or will any be OK?

will something like this be OK

USB card.jpg

7 Port USB 3.0 PCI Express PCIe Controller - 5x External Ports 2 x Internal - 15 pin SATA Power Con...

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
10 Diamond

@dsmithy20  - The card you linked may not be (easily) compatible.

The spec says:  "...power supply unit with free Molex power connection necessary". <emphasis added>

The XPS 8950 won't have any Molex connectors from the PSU. Assuming the PSU has a spare (unused) SATA power connector, you'd have to get a SATA power>Molex power adapter.

CAVEAT: I don't know if the XPS 8950 uses standard SATA power connections directly from the PSU, or if it's customized and only supplies power to SATA drives via a motherboard connection.

Why not just look for a PCI-e x4 USB card that only needs power from the slot, without any extra power connections?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

View solution in original post

Replies (14)

Hello, I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can start a private/direct message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. Currently only available in the USA.

10 Diamond

@dsmithy20  - The card you linked may not be (easily) compatible.

The spec says:  "...power supply unit with free Molex power connection necessary". <emphasis added>

The XPS 8950 won't have any Molex connectors from the PSU. Assuming the PSU has a spare (unused) SATA power connector, you'd have to get a SATA power>Molex power adapter.

CAVEAT: I don't know if the XPS 8950 uses standard SATA power connections directly from the PSU, or if it's customized and only supplies power to SATA drives via a motherboard connection.

Why not just look for a PCI-e x4 USB card that only needs power from the slot, without any extra power connections?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

After having a great deal of difficulty communicating with tech support in India; the first two agents appeared not to know what PCIe boards are, I spoke with a third who asked others and finally asked if my OLD USB port PCIe card is SATA.  When I answered YES (btw, I was amazed that I knew the answer), she told me it is NOT compatible.  I HAVE an SATA to Molex powe5r cord so I tried it anyway.  The old PCIe card DOES fit the slot but is shorter where it should be flush with the rear of the PC.  This makes it VERY DIFFICULT to plug a UBS plug into it.  I tried it with my bar code scanner.  The PC did NOT recognize the input!

Ron,

This is my second reply after 4 attempts to gets answers from Dell tech support in India that is USELESS.  There IS a Molex power outlet in my new XPS8950.  It was sitting tucked into the spare drive bay!  What I am desperately trying to ask Dell's absolutely WORTHLESS tech support is whether an older PCIe card will work!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Thanks for the reply Ron that's what i wanted to hear, that i could fit a PCI USB card after all .many thanks

10 Diamond

Glad to help...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

10 Diamond

@aky13  Are you sure it's a Molex power adapter, and not a 6- or 8-pin PCI-e power adapter that's used for a video card?

Molex:

molex.jpg

6-pin PCI-e:

PCI-e.jpg

Exactly what kind of slot does this "older PCI-e card" need? And how old is "older"? Could it be a PCI card, which pre-dates PCI-e? The XPS 8950 doesn't have any PCI slots, only PCI-e slots, and PCI cards aren't compatible with PCI-e slots.

I wouldn't be plugging in incompatible components and connecting power cables from the PSU to them. You could seriously damage this XPS 8950. Time to get a new x4 PCI-e card, that doesn't need an extra power cable?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

@dsmithy20 Why not use a 15 pin SATA power splitter cable like this: https://www.amazon.com/Benfei-Power-Y-Splitter-Cable-Inches/dp/B07ML447FG

You may have to look for a longer splitter cable if 8 inches is not long enough.

Oops, sorry everyone.  NOT MOLEX but 15 pin SATA as referenced by Vic384 5 Tungsten.

I am NOT a computer expert, but I am aware of the difference between PCI and PCIe.  It IS a PCIe board, but the shape is slightly physically different from newer PCIe boards.  I did as suggested.  I ordered an up-to-date board.

THANK YOU for the responses.  I greatly appreciate it ESPECIALLY in view of the horrendous tech support from Dell!

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor