Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

March 12th, 2018 14:00

Bios boot drive change XPS 8910 latest windows 10 version

I have cloned my hardrive and now would like to boot from the external 3.0 usb using the cloned drive.  In order to do this on my older machines with legacy BIOS I needed to change the boot drive to usb.  After accessing the UEFI BIOS and moving to the boot screen I am reading Greek>>  3 options

1.  Windows Boot Manager

2. onboard NIC (IPV4)

3. onboard NIC (IPV6)

I do not understand 2 options being a network interface card with internet protocols as boot options.  Let alone the fact that there is no USB boot option anywhere to be found.  Is it possible to boot with an external USB harddrive on this machine?

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

March 12th, 2018 14:00

With the UEFI BIOS just press F12 when you see the Dell startup screen and select from the boot devices presented to you. Be aware you should see your USB drive and your HDD. When you install your cloned drive you will have to disconnect your HDD otherwise you will have to boot with F12 each time in order to select which drive to boot from.

November 11th, 2018 09:00

Were you able to figure out this issue?  I'm having the same trouble.

November 11th, 2018 09:00

Thanks Vic384, but I don't think you answered the question. 

I'm having the same issue after cloning to a new SSD device on my Dell XPS.  I do not see the drives.  I only see what the previous person referred to in the UEFI BIOS:

What do you mean by disconnect the HDD?  I plan to use the HDD for file storage.  Do you mean delete the old OS from the HDD?

Lost in Translation.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

November 11th, 2018 11:00

If you clone the HDD to the SSD and leave the HDD connected via its SATA cable and boot the computer, the computer will still boot from the HDD. The UEFI BIOS does not have a option to select between the HDD and the SSD. So to boot from the SSD you either have to disconnect the HDD or boot using F12 and select the SSD.

In order to use the HDD for additional storage you have to re-initialize the HDD.by booting from the SSD and using the Diskpart command from a Command prompt. Just make sure you are re-initializing the correct disk.

No Events found!