Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

3 Posts

October 16th, 2018 14:00

XPS 8500, Bluetooth now unable to Pair

To the best I can recall based on paired listing the last time my Bluetooth worked correctly was up until about a month ago. Any attempt to pair anything since then from BT speakers to BT headphones to a BT printer met with failure. Either I was told to supply a non-existent PIN or Couldn't Pair Try Again.repeatedly.

I tried to pair under all the available set-up options . Should mention that all previously paired accessories remained listed and paired and functioning. Also the new peripherals easily paired with other BT equipped assets.

Here is what I tried: following a number of You Tube vids, I made sure drivers were and up-to-date (though suggested updates were at variance with one another for XPS 8500). At one point I accessed regedit to alter an entry suggested by a poster, changing 6.3 to 6.2 (don't recall specifics, anyway changed it back). Also by the same poster, suggested fiddling with various BT Services menu options which also were non-effective.

This morning uninstalled then re-installed BT assets in device manager and realize I have three listings under Bluetooth whereas previous to the install there were just the first two (Dell Wireless 1703 Bluetooth, Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator, Microsoft Bluetooth LE Enumerator), I disabled one than the others in succession thinking it may be a matter of conflicts, but alas, none of what I attempted has had any effect.

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions which may jolt this misbehaving component into compliance. Thank you.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 16th, 2018 15:00

@WhoLou wrote:

1. realize I have three listings under Bluetooth whereas previous to the install there were just the first two (Dell Wireless 1703 Bluetooth, Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator, Microsoft Bluetooth LE Enumerator),

2. I disabled one than the others in succession thinking it may be a matter of conflicts, but alas, none of what I attempted has had any effect.

Is this Windows-10 64bit?

1. Yes, that sounds fine and about normal.

2. No, don't do that.

Actually, I would try this fix. Substitute Bluetooth device for Audio-device. If you can't disable BT from BIOS, you might have to physically remove the card/device for that step.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Alienware-Aurora-R4-No-Audio-after-1809-Update/m-p/6200247/highlight/true#M6096

3 Posts

October 17th, 2018 08:00

Long considered the corner maven when it comes to pc's, I humbly-- and somewhat red-faced-- concede I have no idea what you're talking about. BIOS, I understand, and advise folks never to even breath on it-- likewise regedit-- without the certainty they know what they're doing and are prepared for the consequences. In this case, sir, I must follow my own caution and in addition concede that beside not clearly able to understand the flow-through in the link you so graciously supplied, I also am in the dark just how to remove BT from the BIOS.

Would appreciate so much, my friend, for a simpler or dumb-downing step process if you please. Thank so much form the guy who now knows enough to know he does not know enough.:Embarrassed:

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 17th, 2018 09:00

This is DIY trouble-shooting/repair.

Maybe you have a local friend or family-member that knows computers? Maybe even someone you trust on TeamViewer and/or FaceTime?

I'm guessing this is a XPS-8500.

I noticed you still never mentioned Windows version as asked.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 17th, 2018 15:00

There's nothing in BIOS Setup for the XPS 8500 related to BT.  So forget about that.

Does WiFi still work on this PC?

Manually download the latest version of the 1703 WiFi+BT driver from the XPS 8500 Support page, based on your version of Windows, onto your desktop. (Use the Win 8.1 driver, if you're running Win 10.) Then manually set a System Restore point to be safe.

Open Device Manager and find the BT entry, right-click it and Uninstall. Now install the driver you downloaded and reboot. See if that fixes the problem.

And I guess it's possible the BT radio on the minicard died, meaning the card would have to be replaced. Or just get a USB>BT dongle and pair that with your devices...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 19th, 2018 15:00

Why was the USB BT dongle "futile"?  Were you unable to pair your devices with the dongle? Did you tell each device to "forget" the minicard BT so it could be paired with the new BT dongle?

Did you Uninstall the minicard's  BT entry n Device Manager? And assuming the BT dongle is compatible with your version of Windows, did you install the driver for the dongle after uninstalling the minicard's BT in Device Manager?

And see if there's anything useful here, assuming you're running Win 10.

3 Posts

October 19th, 2018 15:00

Tesla1856, RoHe

Tesla1856, pardon for the slow uptake, but it became clear to me the point of your post. You were suggesting I follow the procedure of the link but substitute Win 10 Bluetooth for the audio-drivers in the example. Please read below.

RoHe, it became clear to me that the drivers for my Bluetooth were the latest drivers And being that my wi-fi remains fully functional, it seems the suggestion from you both that I may have to physically replace the minicard as the next positive move. (ordered and received a BT dongle in the meantime which proved futile).

Although this may present a minor challenge in having to go inside, I don't foresee it as being insurmountable in that I have replaced vid cards, sound cards on occasion. I merely must consult the forum to determine just what card and the process of installation. I thank you both for your time and patience.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 19th, 2018 21:00

@WhoLou wrote:

Tesla1856, RoHe

it seems the suggestion from you both that I may have to physically replace the minicard as the next positive move. (ordered and received a BT dongle in the meantime which proved futile).

Good to hear it's Windows-10.

If it's a "combo wireless" (WiFi/BlueTooth) card ... remove it. Start using an ethernet wire instead.

Not sure which BT-dongle you bought (I like Kinivo ones). Anyway, it should work.

2 Posts

January 28th, 2019 06:00

I'm experiencing the same problem. The latest Microsoft and Dell BT drivers (Dell's is newer) will not tolerate the Broadcom USB dongle driver. The BT driver gets a "won't start" error. Deleting and reinstalling does nothing--Windows Troubleshooter believes that the BT driver is missing or out of date, recommends a reinstall, then gives the same error. iTunes complains there's incompatible BT software, but worked until a few weeks ago. I've also gotten an "unauthorized software present" message when installing the Dell driver. Conclusion: Some Windows update broke compatibility with the Broadcom driver. Will have to replace the dongle. (Thanks, MS)

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 28th, 2019 11:00

@rsaunder wrote:
I'm experiencing the same problem. The latest Microsoft and Dell BT drivers (Dell's is newer) will not tolerate the Broadcom USB dongle driver. The BT driver gets a "won't start" error. Deleting and reinstalling does nothing--Windows Troubleshooter believes that the BT driver is missing or out of date, recommends a reinstall, then gives the same error. iTunes complains there's incompatible BT software, but worked until a few weeks ago. I've also gotten an "unauthorized software present" message when installing the Dell driver. Conclusion: Some Windows update broke compatibility with the Broadcom driver. Will have to replace the dongle. (Thanks, MS)

Totally confused by your post... 

Exactly what PC model do you have? Did you recently update to Win 10 build 1809?

And what's a "Broadcom USB dongle"? 

Have you looked in services.msc to see if the BT service is set to start automatically?

Have you scanned thoroughly for malware recently?

No Events found!