Start a Conversation

Unsolved

V

4 Posts

January 15th, 2020 13:00

Can anyone help before I throw this PC OUT?

I bought this XPS just over a year ago.  I read reviews carefully and I believed them.  I don't think I should have.  I lost everything I had in the Camp Fire.  I used 2600 of the small amount from FEMA to get this computer.  Have to have one.  And I had wanted this computer for a couple of years.  So it arrived January 2019. Since arrival, I have been nothing but unimpressed, disappointed, depressed and then just angry at Dell.  This PC had not delivered ANYTHING Dell claimed or that I read in reviews.  I feel seriously ripped off.  Especially making it my selection using the only money I received to live off of at the time. And I choose Dell.  The computer is so bad I feel like they stole the money from me.  From the beginning, I have not seen any of the speed, video quality and most of all, the single most qualifying factor in my choice to buy this PC- the audio. Within the first few months the screen started to go dark on one side with a gradual lightening into the other side.  I had to keep putting it asleep or restarting it until the screen came up correctly.  The problem has progressed to where condense windows to half their screen size and move the box over to the right to be able to see anything.  The left side, to choose anything is pretty much braille with out the bumps.  The audio- has never been louder than a basic  radio or average car stereo.  It has never had a full sound.  It's always tin and thin.  Even if you play with the adjustments.  You might get decent sound and some more volume but not anywhere near claimed and advertised.  Volume?  All the way up, if you sing with a song you can't hear the audio.  I thought out of the box it was supposed to be all of the things Dell claimed with audio and video and speed.  It never has come close.  At this point, I hate this machine with venum.    Unfortunately, the warranty ran out last month.  I slowly putting some money together to renew the warranty to get service.  Yes, I should have contacted support during the first 12 months.  Now I have to wait until I can renew.  It isn't really an excuse I know, but it's been a little complicated, confusing, frustrating and desperate process putting your life or trying to put your life back together and get going again after things like that.  Can't tell you how many places I have lived in the last year.  Anyway, I have been dealing with the screen problem by just sleep and back up or restarting until it's clear.  But this week, it won't clear and half of the screen is just black.  It will be a couple months before I can renew my warranty.  Does anyone have any suggestions of things I can do, check, look at,anything, that might help me limp it along until I can get it serviced?  Thanks in advance for any help and/or information/direction.  Victorialand

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 15th, 2020 16:00

If you have a discrete GPU, you can try removing the GPU from your PC and plugging the monitor directly into the back of the PC to use onboard graphics.  That will also tell you if the source of the screen problem is the PC or GPU. You can also check to see if any of the connections on the motherboard are loose while you have it open.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 15th, 2020 19:00

@Victorialand wrote:

I bought this XPS just over a year ago. 

Does anyone have any suggestions of things I can do (to repair it myself),

Is this an All-in-One desktop ? What is the exact model?

No, not really (that sounds fairly broken). 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 15th, 2020 21:00

@Tesla1856 wrote:

@Victorialand wrote:

I bought this XPS just over a year ago. 

Does anyone have any suggestions of things I can do,

Is this an All-in-One desktop ? What is the exact model?

No, not really (that sounds fairly broken). 

I came back here to mention that it could also be a monitor issue, especially with the screen dimming only on one side.  So you could also try a different monitor to rule out the PC or not.  Don't know if the speakers are built into the monitor too or if you've tried different sets of speakers same issue ... and if it's built in to the monitor, well yeah, the monitor could be your culprit and PC is just fine.  Just saying.  But if you're asking about an all-in-one PC/touchscreen monitor combo, since you're outside the return period I would say your best bet is probably to contact Dell and see if they'll fix it for you if you extend your warranty.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 16th, 2020 12:00

As already said by @Tesla1856 we need to know the exact PC model to offer any suggestions.

There's always Dell's Out Of Warranty Repair Service but you should do a cost comparison between an out of warranty repair and buying a warranty extension, assuming they'll cover the current issues under the warranty extension.

And here's another thought - If you bought this PC with a credit card, contact your credit card company ASAP and ask if they offer any extended warranty coverage. My credit card extends a manufacturer's warranty for up to 1 year after the original warranty expired, when the item was purchased with their card. And it doesn't cost me anything for this extra coverage.

They'll likely require you to provide proof of date you purchased the PC, and date the warranty expired. But since the PC is only just over 1 year old, it should qualify for extended coverage, assuming your card offers it.

I had an electronic gadget fail shortly after the warranty ended. The manufacturer sent an email saying the warranty had expired and they don't repair their gadgets. So I filed with my card company. They required me to purchase an exact replacement on their card (no upgrades or a different brand allowed) and then they credited the entire amount back to my account ~1 month later. The replacement has worked for over 3 years now (knock wood) so I'm a happy camper!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 16th, 2020 14:00

@Victorialand   -  One more thingy...

Assuming your credit card company offers extra warranty coverage, it's probably not a good idea to mention that the PC problems started before the factory warranty expired.

They might question why you didn't get it fixed when it was still within the original warranty period, and that could give them an excuse to deny you any extended coverage.

January 17th, 2020 03:00

won't let me reply

January 17th, 2020 03:00

i can't get this to let my reply

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 17th, 2020 08:00

An XPS TOWER a year old has to be an 8920 or 8930.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/cty/pdp/spd/xps-8930-desktop

If its a laptop then we need the model number. aka XPS13   XPS 15.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 17th, 2020 10:00

@Victorialand wrote:

won't let me reply

But you are replying (twice, even) so I don't understand the problem. 

Log into the forum and open this thread. Click the 3 vertical dots at right side at top of this post and select Edit from the menu. Type in your complete reply and click Post...

No Events found!