Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 16th, 2020 14:00

Can't Boot - And then I Can

For the last month+, my Dell XPS 8920 – running 64-bit Windows 10 – has not booted properly. It hangs every time I first power it on it before the POST has completed. The Dell screen appears, but the twirling dots do not and it simply hangs on the Dell screen. That happens 100% of the time.

But if I hold the power switch down to power it off and then power it on again, it starts perfectly. And it does that 100% of the time. The same thing happens if it shuts itself off after the POST failure and I hit the power switch again. It starts up just fine.

I have tried unplugging all of the peripherals, and it makes no difference. I ran the BIOS "thorough" test and that found no errors.

Can anybody offer any solutions?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 16th, 2020 15:00

Disable Fast Startup in Windows 10.

1. Open the Win 10 Power & Sleep screen and click Additional Power Settings
  2. On next screen, click Choose what the power buttons do
  3. On next screen, click Change settings that are currently unavailable
  4. Uncheck Fast Startup
  5. Save the change and reboot

Fixed?

3 Posts

August 17th, 2020 05:00

That did the trick. Thanks very much for your help, Ron. Do you have an idea why that was suddenly necessary?

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

August 17th, 2020 06:00

This is not a recent issue, it has been around awhile. It is just that it is not consistent. See this article which was written in 2017 for more information: https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 17th, 2020 13:00

@Handydad  Glad that solves the problem .Just another example of Microsoft's infinite wisdom...

Please mark this thread Answered - thanks.

No Events found!