Start a Conversation

Unsolved

X

3 Posts

July 20th, 2018 18:00

Can’t connect wireless or Ethernet help please

Hi so today it was storming and I didn’t know and it shocked me at my desk I do have a surge protector but it still manage to freeze my pc and I didn’t notice but it wouldn’t let me connect to the internet using ether WiFi or ether net please help I have a dell xps 8900 I think I may need  new network card or something

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 20th, 2018 21:00

@Xam99 wrote:

Hi so today it was storming and I didn’t know and it shocked me at my desk I do have a surge protector but it still manage to freeze my pc and I didn’t notice but it wouldn’t let me connect to the internet using ether WiFi or ether net please help I have a dell xps 8900 I think I may need  new network card or something

Surge Protectors don't really do anything much (as you have found out).

I don't buy anything less that this APC (LCD with AVR) for each computer, HDTV, etc.

See if it will complete an ePSA Diagnostic (outside of Windows).

Do you see any error-ed devices in Device Manager ?

3 Posts

July 21st, 2018 07:00

Yes I did that said everything was working fine like I reset my router so my WiFi works but it’s like super slow and doesn’t even use majority of the connection my friend said it possibly hit my motherboard so I may need a new one

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 21st, 2018 14:00

@Xam99 wrote:

Yes I did that said everything was working fine like I reset my router so my WiFi works but it’s like super slow and doesn’t even use majority of the connection my friend said it possibly hit my motherboard so I may need a new one

I suggest you test your Router's WiFi (and also ethernet hard-wire) with another computer or device.

Make sure you are fixing the right machine. My guess would be Router if both WiFi/Ethernet are both suddenly not working.

As for why it happened (or to prevent it from happening again) read this thread carefully:

https://dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/Keyboard-failure-after-startup-thunderstorm/m-p/6112744/highlight/true#M13550

3 Posts

July 21st, 2018 18:00

My routers fine and my Ethernet for it cause I tested it on my ps4 its just my pc that’s having the problem and my Ethernet port is connected to my mother board

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 21st, 2018 19:00

@Xam99 wrote:

1. My routers fine and my Ethernet for it cause I tested it on my ps4 its just my pc that’s having the problem

2. and my Ethernet port is connected to my mother board

1. OK, that sounds fairly conclusive. I'm guessing you also checked the Router's WiFi?

I'm assuming you don't want to use the XPS-8900 WiFi because WiFi is inherently slow? If so, no problem (actually, I don't blame you).

2. Correct

What version of Windows is this anyway?

No Events found!