Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 18th, 2019 17:00

XPS 8300, change out USB2 ports to USB3

Hello Community.

I have an older XPS 8300 that is working extremely well after some updating.

My final contention is the USB2.0 ports. I have searched for this information pretty well everywhere and have not come up with a solution. Hoping someone here has my answer.

There are two USB2.0 ports on the top of the PC in the media tray that face up and forward. They connect to the motherboard. I would like to add a USB3 card to the PC to add additional ports to the rear, BUT I also want to be able to find a card that is compatible with the connectors for the top ports. I use those ports extensively and don't want them obsoleted.

So, I'm looking for a USB3 card (I have three empty PCIe x1 slots available) which will add a few ports to the back AND have a connector compatible with the USB top ports.

Thank you for any and all advice.

Dave In Trinity

36 Posts

February 18th, 2019 22:00

@DaveInTrinity wrote:

So, I'm looking for a USB3 card (I have three empty PCIe x1 slots available) which will add a few ports to the back AND have a connector compatible with the USB top ports.

Chances are you will never find anything like that and it couldn't be just a compatible connector because the ports would still physically be USB2 ports.

You can get pcie USB3.0 cards with front panels in  5.25" and 3.5" sizes if you have spare space in the front.

Search "usb 3.0 pci express card front panel"

If you wanted to do a bit of a kludge I suppose you could get one of those cards and try cutting out your top USB's and cutting the new one to fit.  I'll try almost anything but that doesn't sound worth it to me:Hmm:

February 19th, 2019 07:00

Thank you for the information. I wasn't aware that the physical ports (plugs) were different. I greatly appreciate this knowledge.

Thank you!

Dave In Trinity

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 19th, 2019 08:00

Best option is to use a PCI-E USB3 card that has drivers based on windows.

That way you plug it in and it works.

https://www.amazon.com/d/Scsi-Port-Cards/ORICO-Express-Controller-Compatible-OS%E3%80%81Linux/B01J4CHJNA/

Compatible with Windows 2000/XP/VISTA/7/8/10、MAC OS、Linux

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 19th, 2019 12:00

I just installed a PCIe card in my XPS-8300

No need to mess with (built-in) front ports. There are always USB-2.0 devices that can use those.

Also, I've found that USB-2.0 ports are more stable and reliable anyway (for "USB-2.0 only" devices).

https://www.dell.com/community/Vostro-Desktops/Vostro-460-XPS-8300-Upgrade-Adventures/td-p/6054983/page/2

No Events found!