Start a Conversation

Unsolved

145 Posts

December 14th, 2018 15:00

XPS 8500, What's the Windows 10 1809 holdup?

Preamble: This is not a discussion of v1809 bugs. I run it on 3 other PCs and it works just fine.

So I have 4 PCs:

1. XPS 8500 Special Edition (2012, not validated for Windows 10 by Dell)
  2. Lenovo Flex 5 (15")
  3. Dell Inspiron 560 (2009, not validated for Windows 10 by Dell)
  4. Sony Vaio Fit 15E

The Vaio runs Insider Slow Ring and has been running v1809 like a champ since before the official release. No issues. The 560 and Flex 5 had the update rolled out to them this week, but the XPS 8500 didn't.

Any idea what the blocking issue on the 8500 might be? All my drivers, BIOS, etc. are up to date; even got the latest 18.12.2 AMD Adrenaline driver for the Radeon HD 7870 GHz edition the PC shipped with.

I'm not complaining, just asking if anyone knows what's up.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

I would not worry as the machine is old, and v1803 is solid.

Yes, I've had (older) machines excluded or just slow offerings.

Sometimes, I think it's due to old hardware (like maybe that old AMD card).

https://www.dell.com/community/Vostro-Desktops/Vostro-460-XPS-8300-Upgrade-Adventures/m-p/6071783/highlight/true#M1312

IIRC, AMD obsoleted a bunch of (perfectly fine) cards for Windows-10. With (older) AMD, I'm always happy if Windows-10 tosses me any work driver-set.

145 Posts

1) The 8500 may be 6 years old, but the Inspiron 560 is even older and yet still received the updated already.
2) The AMD card is still actively supported by AMD. The latest drivers included this week cover it.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 15th, 2018 13:00

Do you have iCloud running on the XPS 8500?

There's a conflict between iCloud and Win 10 1809 so Microsoft has been withholding build 1809 from PCs running iCloud until they and Apple work out the bugs. I have no idea when that will get fixed, if not already fixed,

FWIW, my Inspiron laptop is only 4 years old and I haven't been offered 1809 and I don't even have iCloud. This PC works fine with 1803, so it's not a compatibility issue.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 15th, 2018 14:00

1809 does not fit onto a single layer 4.7 gig dvd.

The ISSUE preventing update is the INTEL GRAPHICS driver.windows self destruct feature update black screen of deathwindows self destruct feature update black screen of death

1803 fits onto a standard DVD-R

I use 1803 dvd clean install then copy the 4.9 gig 1809 iso into the documents folder.

I then use 7 zip to extract the iso contents into the documents folder.

Then run the setup.exe as administrator offline to FORCE an update to 1809 and it works fine.

I then run cleanmgr.exe AND clean up system files and remove previous windows installations  which can be 28 gigs of windows.old folder.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 15th, 2018 16:00

@speedstep wrote:

The ISSUE preventing update is the INTEL GRAPHICS driver.

Yeah, I've seen similar on older machines.

IIRC, I just ignored it and forced latest (v1709 or v1803) on there with a clean-install. 

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 15th, 2018 17:00

If you're that eager to update this XPS to build 1809, go to this link and click the Update Now button. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ;

145 Posts

December 15th, 2018 19:00

So here's something interesting: I forced the update via the software download website and got error code 0xc00000fd.

Guess I'll just leave it alone for now and wait until it's actually rolled out to the machine.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 16th, 2018 12:00

Lots of others get the same error. Do you have the latest Intel video and audio drivers as was mentioned above? You can go to the Intel site and use their update tool to scan your hardware and offer new drivers, if any are available.

Are you logged into an account with Administrator privileges?

What antimalware app do you use? Some people had to uninstall/disable their current app and enable Windows Defender, at least while they forced the update.

How much free disk space do you have? If the disk is pretty full, that might cause the error.

For the heck of it, I forced the update on this Win 10 lappy last night, since I hadn't been offered the update via Windows Update. Took hours (I finally went to bed!) and when I woke the PC up this morning, the update was marked "successful".

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 16th, 2018 12:00

Couldn't edit my last post... To be safe, make sure you image your hard drive before attempting to force the update. And I know the update succeeded here because Windows Update now says I have a bunch of updates for 1809 awaiting download...

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 17th, 2018 05:00

0xc00000f  is very specific and indicates a hardware error.  Recommend backup everything and clean install starting with 1803.  "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed" Error Code: 0xC000000f  

Needs repair  Recovery partition is TOO SMALLNeeds repair Recovery partition is TOO SMALL

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 17th, 2018 10:00

@jdrch wrote:
"Do you have the latest Intel video and audio drivers as was mentioned above?"
- Not sure those are relevant since I use an AMD graphics card (Intel GPU doesn't even show up in Windows) and my audio card is a Realtek on-board one. FWIW I ran Intel's driver utility and found no updates available.

"logged into an account with Administrator privileges?"
- Yes.

"antimalware app do you use?"
- Avira, but so do both the Inspiron and Flex 5 that were successfully updated.

"How much free disk space do you have?"
- >= 68% on a 1 TB mSATA.

Actually I'm wondering if that might be the issue as the mSATA drive is SATA1 while my data drive is SATA0 (per Dell mobo assignment, not my doing.) Maybe v1809 hasn't been tested or tested well on that config yet.

Yes, your error message appears to be a software issue with the update app and lots of potential "fixes" offered on the net. That's why I suggested some things to check. Is "regular" Windows Update working correctly on this PC? You might run the WU troubleshooter to see if it finds/fixes any problems.

And yes, those Intel driver updates are necessary even if you don't use Intel Graphics or Audio. I got updates for them via Windows Update a month or so ago, so maybe you got them too.  And using the Intel wizard right before I forced the update, didn't offer newer drivers to me either.

Even if those other PCs run Avira too, you might try disabling it on this XPS. One never knows what might cause problems like this on one PC and not on another.

You didn't mention it, so I assume you aren't running iCloud on this PC, correct?

If you think it might be a problem with where the boot drive is connected, you could try moving the boot drive to SATA0 on the motherboard.

Doing a clean install is a royal pain because you'll have to reinstall all your apps and customized settings, etc. So I see that as a "when all else fails" solution...

145 Posts

I'm sure it might be a serious one, but my error code is 0xc00000fd, not 0xc00000f.

Purely from my Googling it appears to be some kind of software issue.

145 Posts

"Do you have the latest Intel video and audio drivers as was mentioned above?"
- Not sure those are relevant since I use an AMD graphics card (Intel GPU doesn't even show up in Windows) and my audio card is a Realtek on-board one. FWIW I ran Intel's driver utility and found no updates available.

"logged into an account with Administrator privileges?"
- Yes.

"antimalware app do you use?"
- Avira, but so do both the Inspiron and Flex 5 that were successfully updated.

"How much free disk space do you have?"
- >= 68% on a 1 TB mSATA.

Actually I'm wondering if that might be the issue as the mSATA drive is SATA1 while my data drive is SATA0 (per Dell mobo assignment, not my doing.) Maybe v1809 hasn't been tested or tested well on that config yet.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 20th, 2018 13:00

You might want to disconnect all internal and external drives, except the boot drive and the 32-GB SSD cache drive, if you have it, and see if 1809 will install now...

Just a thought...

145 Posts

December 20th, 2018 13:00

Scroll up ;) I replaced the 32 GB cache drive with a full capacity 1 TB mSATA SSD earlier this year. The latter is what Windows runs on.

I'll try again next week after the replacement HDD has been installed.
No Events found!