Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

1 Message

January 11th, 2019 06:00

XPS 8700, powers for 3 seconds before shutting off

I know virtually nothing about troubleshooting a desktop. I bought what seemed to be a good one from someone a couple years ago who led me to believe that it was only a year or two old. Now that it's not working I put the service code into the Del website and it indicates that the warranty ran out in 2014. So I guess the computer is old? 

It has worked fine since I bought it last year but this morning when i pushed the power button the fan ran for 3 seconds and then everything died. After 5 seconds, it seemed to attempt start up again, but the fan ran for 3 seconds and died again. This continues until I hold the power button down for 15 seconds to completely shut it off. 

I have unplugged the tower, held the power button down to drain the power and tried to restart. Same intermittent fan running. I've also changed the power outlet with no change. Is this fixable? Any suggestions? Did the hard drive/ tower just die on me?

Thank you

9.4K Posts

January 11th, 2019 07:00

Hi tarcudi,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Unfortunately from your description it sounds like your motherboard has failed.  However one thing more to try would be to replace the coin cell battery on the MB before looking for another.  The batteries last about 5 years and this model went into production in 2013.  

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 11th, 2019 10:00

What color is the power button on front of the PC and is it steady or blinking when PC won't boot?

Is the power supply diagnostic LED on back of computer on or off (#14, here) when connected directly to a working outlet? And what happens when you press the power supply diagnostic test button (#13)?

1 Message

March 31st, 2021 10:00

Changing the battery worked for me! Thank you Very mucho.

June 5th, 2023 16:00

Hey, I know this is a couple years after your original post,  but I had the exact same issue with my Dell XPS desktop after a quick power outage recently. After searching through about a dozen threads just like this one (all with no real solutions or resolution), I paid the fee and sent it to Dell. They replaced my motherboard for about $120, plus the shipping/diagnostic charge of about $40. My machine is only 2 years old so it's still operating great and now it's back in working order thankfully. Wanted to share how this finally got resolved here for others with the same issue. 

No Events found!