Highlighted
3 Silver

Dell XPS 410/Dimension 9200 with windows 7

Hello, i have a dell dimension 9200 with windows xp. I would like to know if you can upgrade to windows 7. I have not succeeded, it is locked in the middle of the installation. I find it weird. I need help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Re: Dell XPS 410/Dimension 9200 with windows 7

XPS 400 and 410 work fine with windows 7 or 8 or 10.

HOWEVER AHCI is required and F6 mass storage pre install drivers are required.

Windows 7 is end of life end of support.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

My dimension say: AHCI not installed.

Help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

AHCI is not something that is installed.  Its a SATA OPERATION BIOS Setting.

AHCI is required for Advanced format drives.

Windows 7 SP1 is minimum version that supports advanced format drives.

Windows 7 is no longer supported by DELL or Microsoft.

https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/error-installing-windows-7-on-advanced-format-disk-drives-218571e...

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln146650/system-image-support-for-advanced-format-hard-d...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22194/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interf...

You cannot point to a zip file you must extract the zip file to the root of USB2 flash drive .

7zip is a good way to do that.

https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

f6flpy-x64.zip

f6flpy-x86.zip

iata_enu.exe

here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

well you never told what install media you are using? (usb stick or DVD nor if DVD what does the label look like)

w7 is not sold now, new, nor from MS nor is W7 supported by dell or MS, now. it ended last month

why not get the install media (builders kit at MS = microsoft.com)  and install w10 ver 1909 up. never older.

Dell XPS 410/Dimension 9200 a tower PC. with what CPU.,Core 2 Duo E6600  ?????

Intel P965 Express Chipset (relic now) this is. I'd never use this now. ok?

what CPU you have tells you if w10 loads or not,  the newest INTEL stepping does and for QUADS too.

just so you know I have boxes of old DUO and quads here even junky Dell 380 BTX monster. that in fact runs

W10, 64bit even and guess what #2 , no need to F6 any funking drivers to make it work  using the current MS install media.   the 410 manual does not list QUAD, (but bios upgrade may allow it:)  IDK

i have a E6300 Cpu running w10-64

and D645 chips PC too, running that. (I tried all super old PCs, that might work and oldest chips set tests and what CPUs old that run it, and I can answer that.. but no CPU told by you.

IF you install w10 32 bit you can go older PCs too. for sure.

The fact is after the install,  some chips may not work right,  sound, chip , may fail, for sure not the sata port.

if sound fails put i a new sound card or USB dongle

now to answer this install lockup , no installer stated. (how made the DVD or who made your installer stick)

1: we always test the HDD first,  with smart tests, if fails no OS on earth will install,. or run right again.

2: after phase 1 , installs, remove  the install media,  or get locked on to and endless phase 1 install loop.

no Goal stated, if planning big time upgrades, DON"T,  buy Dell optiplex MT, 9020MT,   or better.

buy gen4 intel CPU and up PCs Haswell and up, NEVER BELOW>  you can get one for $50 off the fleabay.etc.

why bottom fish with P965 (year 2006)? most of these are scrapped now.

I test them to see just how smart the MS PnP severs are, (real world) and  OLD.

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

W10 F6 Canard again>!

even the older 945 chip set installs, w10 , with NO F6 drivers, sorry your data is NO GOOD NOW.

why not try it for real, and learn what it can do , and not tell the F6 lie over and over,? and the broad brush park it.

surely you know that that there are 9 versions of w10, and they are NOT THE SAME< for sure installed.

OP connect the Ethernet port to your router, wired, and the magic of PnP works too while installing,

try that, and WIN.  W10 clean loads no problems on this PC, if you have the right CPU,. 

hint no lame Pentiums or Celerons, allowed, just CORE2 DUO and only the newest stepping work,  as Intel warns you.

if all that sound hard, (it is) then dump the PC and get a 9020MT and have  future.

nobody
0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

"W10 F6 Canard again>!

even the older 945 chip set installs, w10 , with NO F6 drivers, sorry your data is NO GOOD NOW.

Again nonsense.  The OP specifically references windows 7.

https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/error-installing-windows-7-on-advanced-format-disk-drives-218571e...

Current versions of windows 10 do not have driver that is compatible with the older chipset.

Setting AHCI sata operation will install windows 10 but if its set IRRT or RAID then it will require COMPATIBLE  INTEL RST Driver.

The newer versions do not work with the older chipsets.

INTEL 945 chipset boards like the Optiplex GX620 work with INTEL RST

10.1 max.   Intel stopped supporting ICH 7 after 11.3

11.7 RST only supports ICH10 controllers.

11.7 is the oldest version still available.

9.6 and 10.1 have been removed from the intel site and RST and the GUI are end of life as far as INTEL is concerned.

This is also why Skylake was the last chipset that supported 7 with a special installer disk.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/how11804/how-to-install-windows-7-on-systems-with-skylake...

The Intel instructions explain how to start a Windows installation and, depending on the version of Windows, how to introduce the replacement driver at the beginning (either by pressing F6 or selecting “Load Driver”) of the operating system setup procedure.

Other possible workarounds to this issue (dependent on notebook hardware configurations):

• Toggle AHCI/IDE/Compatibility mode before installation of Windows 7 by selecting the option in system BIOS. This causes the default Microsoft driver to load which supports Advanced Format.
  • Toggle the RAID mode in System BIOS while installing the Operating system. RAID Mode can be enabled after the installation of the Intel Driver.
  • Copy the Installation CD to a bootable USB drive – using Microsoft’s CD/USB tool or literature widely available on the web. Change the <iastor.sys> file in the installation source with the Intel iRST driver ver 9.6.

here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

This computer should start the windows 7/8/10. The  core 2 duo no is a relic, is a 64-bit processor, enought.

I have a dell optiplex 745 755 780 740, of similar features and similar years. These computers do they work with windows 10 and no problem. The problem is this dimension, the others dimension 9200 they work with windows 10. Does not even boot the windows 7, 8, 10 installer disk. Alone xp. The pc say: AHCI not installed. None of the answers are helping me.

0 Kudos