Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 7th, 2023 04:00

HDD to SSD an SSD not showing in bios to make it the primary boot drive

XPS 8700

XPS 8700

Hi last night I tried replacing my 1tb HDD with a 250gb Samsung 870 250gb evo SSD yes I know it’s small but I only want it for windows wont be putting anything else on it an was going to use the HDD as the storage device so I installed W8.1 that came with my pc onto the ssd worked fine but now I have a dual boot machine can pick SSD W8.1 or HDD W10 the HDD is 10 from the free upgrade when they offered it an I cannot make the SSD the bootable device in bios it doesn’t show there but does show under SATA an I cannot format the HDD I am now stuck with the dual boot if I unplug the HDD I get a black screen with No bootable devices found but as soon as I plug it back in I get the blue screen after startup where I can choose which device to boot from but now for some reason only the SSD W8.1 will load to desktop the HDD ask for repair think I deleted windows files by mistake I do get the option to restore it but when it asks me for the password for the Microsoft account it says password is incorrect when I know 100% it is correct kinda at a loss now any help would be appreciated 

5 Practitioner

• 

4.6K Posts

January 7th, 2023 05:00

I assume you would have back up of all your data.  Using Windows Creation Tool to make a USB and just perform a clean install of Windows 10 and deleting all partitions from both drives during installation.  Select SSD to install, let Windows create and manage boot option (Windows Boot Manager).  When the Windows installation is complete, install the machine chipset driver, then the Intel HECI driver, after that let Windows update to install the rest.  You can go to Disk Management and set hard drive as data drive.  Go to Windows storage option and set new apps on drive C, all other (documents, downloads, music, pictures, videos) will be on drive D.

Don't forget to set SATA mode to AHCI and enable UEFI in BIOS prior to installation.

5 Practitioner

• 

4.6K Posts

January 7th, 2023 16:00

It's good to practice and got result on Win 8.  I will go over all basic steps and let you pick up from there.

*  Click here to download Win 10 creation tool to a good working computer, double click to run and following instruction to create a USB to use on other machine

*  Go here to see drivers for your XPS 8700 system, you may need to click on Find drivers to expand and locating chipset driver, Intel AMT HECI driver.

*  Prepping your machine, replacing coin cell battery with a new CR2032.  Check and remove mSATA cache from motherboard if your system has one. 

*  With Win 10 USB plug in, power on the machine, keep tapping F12 until you get one time boot.  Select BIOS settings and verify UEFI =  Enable, SATA mode =  AHCI.  Save and exit but keep tapping F12 again to select booting from USB drive under UEFI option.

*  Following instruction to install Windows, select I don't have key and select appropriate version of Win 10 home or pro.  Delete all partition until you are left with unallocated space, select next and let Windows creating all necessary partitions as well as formatting, you don't need to do any of that.

*  After Windows installation is complete, you can customize the settings and installing the drivers downloaded from previous steps, then run Windows update to let it installing the rest.  Some are under optional updates.  Go to Disk Management, right click on unallocated drive and select to create partition, following the wizard (keep clicking on next) and set your hard drive as drive D (with no name or DATA).

Enjoy your machine.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

Make sure you do not have RAID enabled in the BIOS. This page at tenforums has information that should help. Basically when you install Windows 10 make sure the drive with Windows 8.1 on it is disconnected.

Yes I have backup so don’t care if I lose what’s on the old HDD windows 10 drive only thing is I can’t do a clean install of W10 as my key won’t work for 10 anymore so I should just do W8.1 clean install correct ? I may be able to upgrade it later but as of now I tried an it won’t let me I’ll buy a copy later if needed just want to get the old HDD off as primary boot drive an get the SSD with 8.1 as the primary although I have a Dell disk 8.1 recovery media not a usb but can make one if needed I looked at the bios settings there all where they should be just want to be sure do want u said but instead of W10 clean install just do 8.1 ? Thx 

5 Practitioner

• 

4.6K Posts

January 7th, 2023 07:00

Once you used Win 10 (from upgrade), your system ID is recorded and kept by Microsoft.  Just do a clean install of Win 10 now on the Samsung SSD, select I don't have key during installation and your Win 10 will be activated automatically when it connects online.  You must select the same version you had before.  Do you remember you have Home or Pro?  

So that I don't sound Greek to you, are you comfortable with working inside computer (motherboard) and editing BIOS?

January 7th, 2023 12:00

Ok awesome this worked although I did it with W8.1 but I’ll just follow the same steps I have in the past to get W10 how should I install machine chipset driver an Intel HECI driver should I install them alone from windows update or download them manually if manual example thx I all I can find in device manager system devices is Intel(R) 82802 Firmware Hub Device an Intel(R) Management Engine interface don’t see any that say Chipset itself but the SSD is now the primary boot an the HDD is empty unallocated exactly what I was looking for just want to follow your other steps but now sure exactly how thanks again 

January 7th, 2023 18:00

Thank you so much for everything everything is done SSD is Primary boot drive an HDD is data everything’s updated an windows 8.1 updated to 10 appreciate the help very much drives are also updated to most recent versions your steps were perfect an easy to follow an solved my issue exactly to what I was looking for. 

5 Practitioner

• 

4.6K Posts

January 7th, 2023 21:00

I am glad that your upgrade went well.  Here is the bonus add-on if you didn't have it already.

Crystal Disk Info -  which will monitor your drives, including the SSD.  It will tell you the health condition, allowing you to take appropriate action before a drive going bad.

Speccy -  a free system utility that give you a snapshot of you system components, including temperatures and speeds.

Adblock (for Chrome) -  a lightweight extension which will prevent most pop-ups, including youtube ads. it will give you a better experience while surfing the internet.

No Events found!