Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 6th, 2022 13:00

How long does it take to clean a 2 TB SATA HD for a Dell XPS 87000

Hello, 

I have a Dell XPS 8700 and I am doing a clean data option, via Windows 10 reset feature.  I have a 2 TB SATA hard  and the process is taking 12 hours but it is still not done.  The screen says "Resetting this PC 1%"  and it has been like for about 10 hours now.  Should I keep waiting? I am in no rush, so I can wait, but wondering after 24 or even 48 if there is something gone wrong.  

clean-data.png

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 6th, 2022 16:00

I'm guessing you mean using "Reset my PC". IIRC, that features has 2 options for a reset-install.
a. A normal (quick) erase/format
b. A thorough deep/long/secure erase

Which one did you pick?

If secure-erase is important to you ... personally, I would just Nuke-and-Pave it (and delete all the existing partitions first). 

https://www.dell.com/community/SupportAssist-for-PCs/XPS-8930-SA-OS-recovery-doesn-t-work/m-p/8137857/highlight/true#M92571

Additionally . It's the same when you format a 2tb disc in Windows. Quick is quick, Non-quick takes a long-time as it is a 2tb disc (and spinning-platter HDDs are inherently slow anyway).

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 6th, 2022 14:00

@byrump 

The drive likely has physical bad sectors.  Definitely should not take that long.

17 Posts

March 6th, 2022 15:00

Should I let run for another day to see what happens?  Or, restart the PC?  Not sure what the state of the HD is in now.

17 Posts

March 6th, 2022 19:00

I tried the "A thorough deep/long/secure erase".  I had to unplug the PC and restart it.  Somehow, Windows did not get erased and so Windows booted up.  I will try the Nuke-and-Pave it (and delete all the existing partitions first).    

Thank you

No Events found!