Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

126 Posts

January 3rd, 2022 21:00

How to do an install of the OS and drivers without disks?

My new computer is working fine, however when I configured it I chose a 1TB hard drive not realizing that it won't be enough. One thing I like to do when I get a new PC is to create an extra partition on the hard drive to use for file storage and back-up purposes. When I looked to do that with this computer, a Dell XPS 8940 running Windows 11, I found that the various partitions already set up consume so much space that the drive only has 12MB of unpartitioned free space on it.

Obviously, there is nothing I can do with only 12mb of space. I will likely decide to replace the hard drive with a bigger one sometime in the near future. Only I have no idea how I am going to install the OS, default drivers, or any of the software that came pre-installed on the PC. The computer didn't ship with any disks whatsoever. No OS installation disk, no system resources disk, no installation disks for anything. What are my options?

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

January 3rd, 2022 22:00

Re: I will likely decide to replace the hard drive with a bigger one sometime in the near future. Only I have no idea how I am going to install the OS, default drivers, or any of the software that came pre-installed on the PC.

you can get another one to two 1TB hdd for your extra storage needs while keeping current Dell 1 TB hdd as OS/boot drive. No need to reinstall OS.

should you plan to replace Dell hdd with single 2-4 TB hdd you can use free Marcium Reflect to clone Dell hdd on new bigger hdd.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

January 4th, 2022 04:00

@Customizer I agree with @redxps630 . You need to install another hard drive for additional storage. Partitioning a hard drive will not give to additional space, it only divides up the space already you have.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 4th, 2022 10:00

@Customizer wrote:

Only I have no idea how I am going to install the OS, default drivers, or any of the software that came pre-installed on the PC. The computer didn't ship with any disks whatsoever. No OS installation disk, no system resources disk, no installation disks for anything. What are my options?

a. You can create the Dell Recovery & Restore USB Drive.
- It's a Windows feature. Be sure "include System Files" is check-marked in the Wizard.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000125230/how-to-create-and-use-the-dell-recovery-restore-usb-drive

b. You can download a new Dell OS Recovery Image

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000123667/how-to-download-and-use-the-dell-os-recovery-image-in-microsoft-windows

c. The XPS-8940 does not really require any special Dell drivers to initially install Windows-10/11 properly. You can just use the official (and perfect) Microsoft "Media Creation Tool" (normally to a USB flash-drive).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You press F12 and boot machine with it (even one with erased/blank/new drives). 

It should Activate with no problems as your License Key is embedded in the XPS BIOS.

If anything small is missing, you get it from your machine's Support section at Dell.com .

----------------------

Let us know how it goes or if you need further help.

Finally, if you replace any old-school spinning-platter hard-drives, or want to add another drive, it should usually be with a Solid-State-Drive (SSD) ... either a flat-looking NVMe SSD or a 2.5inch SATA-3/600 SSD. SSDs are much faster and more dependable (as they have no moving parts).

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 4th, 2022 11:00

To add to what @Tesla1856 said, if you install an M.2 SSD, you can clone the HDD onto the SSD, using imaging software like Macrium Reflect (free). That way you won't have to install drivers and apps again.

If the new SSD is larger than the 1T HDD, you should  expand the size of the C: partition during the cloning to use all the extra space available.

Once that's done, you have to boot the PC from the new SSD via the F12 menu and confirm everything is working properly and all your personal files are available.  If you don't boot via F12, PC will always boot from the HDD. (I'd reboot from SSD via F12 several times to confirm proper function.)

Then after booting from SSD via F12, use Disk Management in Windows to initialize the HDD (ALL FILES DELETED!) so you can use it for routine storage.

Now reboot boot normally and move all your personal files that got cloned onto the SSD onto the HDD. And you can also set Windows to move default folders onto the HDD too so they don't take up space on the new SSD.

Some apps can even be uninstalled from Windows on the SSD and directed to be installed on the HDD (drive D) to free up more space on the SSD.

126 Posts

January 4th, 2022 12:00

Although I have already disposed of my old PC, I removed and kept it's hard drive. That computer's hard drive is a 1TB Seagate Barracuda. I am considering having it added to the new PC as a second internal hard drive. And since I am not a tech, I think I'll let a clerk at my local Geek Squad location install and set-up the drive for me.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 4th, 2022 17:00

Do you need to be concerned that your drives have personal/private info on them which the Geek guy could access...?

126 Posts

January 4th, 2022 18:00

RoHe, you got a point. I do indeed need to be concerned about that. I used my old computer for a lot of stuff and the drive has a lot of personal files on it. Before I take my new computer & the old hard drive over there to be installed, I want to look into their privacy policy.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 5th, 2022 09:00

@Customizer wrote:

Although I have already disposed of my old PC, I removed and kept it's hard drive. That computer's hard drive is a 1TB Seagate Barracuda. 

As I previously posted, mostly now-days ... only SSDs should be installed inside a computer. 

I would suggest you install that old spinning-platter HDD inside a External USB-3 Enclosure. You can use it until it dies soon.

Finally, when you install a 3.5-inch HDD inside an XPS-8940 (or similar Auroras) it mostly blocks the air-flow cooling to all the important components in the top-half of the case.

No Events found!