XPS Desktops

Last reply by 08-06-2020 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Mystery 30 second event on XPS 8930

Folks,
I have an XPS 8930 purchased in June with W10 1909, now W10 2004.

This is more a puzzle than a problem but I have most sounds set on as I like to know what is happening and I have now noticed that every 30 seconds my 'Close program' sound is heard. There is no corresponding 'Open program' heard.

I cannot catch any thing in Task Manager except Audio Device Graph which is presumably for the actual sound.

Has anyone any idea what might be happening every 30 seconds, is it common on XPS 8930s and does it matter ?

Yes, I could just remove the sound, but . . .

I also have the sporadic brief mouse freeze symptom but that's another story.

Regards
Tom

Replies (40)
3 Argentum

@ThomasIvan 

I also have the sporadic brief mouse freeze symptom but that's another story.

Perhaps this will apply:  https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-freezes-for-3-5-seconds/m-p/7502259/highlight/t...

Yes, I could just remove the sound, but . . .

I would just undo what you did.

GK

Thanks for all the input. - In no particular order -

The sound is that currently set for 'close program' which I have changed to be sure. It does not sound if I set the sounds theme to 'no sounds' and is definitely produced by the speakers. 'Beep' was probably not the best description.

I have not been able to spot anything in event logs anmd the monitor is definitely plugged into the Nvidia card's Display Port.

I will try disabling the startups, there only four enabled at the moment - Cortana, HD Audio Background, RealTek HD Audio manager and Windows Security notifications.

I am more wary of removing the Nvidia card while under warranty but will revert to the UHD output at the next weekly shut down. The Nvidia card has DP and HDMI sockets and there is a single DVI socket in the slot below, is that an extension of the graphics card ?

I also noticed that HiDef Audio and the Nvidia RTX2060 share IRQ 16 - coincidence ?

Have I replied in the right place ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ThomasIvan   The Nvidia card has DP and HDMI sockets and there is a single DVI socket in the slot below, is that an extension of the graphics card ?

Yes.

I am more wary of removing the Nvidia card while under warranty but will revert to the UHD output at the next weekly shut down.

Removing the graphics card will not affect your warranty.

@ThomasIvan wrote "The sound is that currently set for 'close program' which I have changed to be sure. It does not sound if I set the sounds theme to 'no sounds' and is definitely produced by the speakers." Getting no sound every 30 seconds when the sound scheme is set to 'no sound' tells me that whatever event triggers the sound it is processed through the Windows operating system. Also if the sound you are getting every 30 seconds changes to the new sound you have assigned to 'close program' then I have to conclude that it is because a program was closed. I am speculating here, but it seems to me that if a program is closed every 30 seconds then it is possible that somehow that program must be reopening after it is closed. Perhaps you can monitor the Processes tab in Task Manager to see if you see any processes being started. Also, if there is no sound assigned to 'open program' perhaps you can assign one.

Did you try booting in Safe Mode? Start>Run>type in msconfig and click OK. Click the Boot tab, put check next to Safe Mode and then reboot. Does that stop the sounds?

Don't forget to uncheck Safe Mode before the next reboot...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

Presently running on Intel UHD graphics just to re-assure myself that I can manage without the Nvidia card.
I disabled the startup items through Task Manager/ Startup as RoHe suggested. The 30 second sound continues.
I have an open program sound set but it is not heard apart from known program starts, certainly not at regular 30 second intervals. A rising blip for start and a pop for close. Nothing recognisable in Task Manager Processes.

Investigation continues one step at a time between distractions.

@ThomasIvan Process Monitor may be a useful tool to determine what is causing the sound you are getting. You can download Process Monitor here. After installing Process Monitor you can setup a Filter to display processes or events matching the following condition - a Path that contains .wav (or the full name of your Close Program wave file). Add the filter and hit Apply and OK. The processes will be displayed that meet the filter criteria. You can right-click each process/event and select Properties; the Process and Stack tabs in the Event Properties windows may help you determine what caused the event. Hopefully from the displayed processes, you can maybe determine what is causing the sound. This article may help: https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/find-application-making-sounds-in-background/

Vic384 at al, I have run Process Monitor and captured the process making use of the Utopia Critical Stop 'close program' wav file.
The process 'Taskhostw' appears in the Process Monitor capture every 30 seconds and carries out five actions on that wav file - create, query standard, read, query basic and close. I can see that process with the corresponding PID bobbing up in CPU usage in 'details' in Task Manager.

Beyond that the event properties, process and stack entries tell me nothing about the original action which kicked off that action.

I'm tempted to just end the task but
Still checking

I've seen claims the Killer Control Center software (for Ethernet E2400 on the XPS 8930, and Killer WiFi, if you have the optional Killer WiFi card) may cause these beeps.

Open services.msc, double-click and change Startup type for all Killer entries to disabled. (Don't change anything else in services.msc.) And then reboot.

See if that helps... If not, you can always re-enable automatic startup for the Killer services in services.msc, assuming you want/need them.

EDIT: Not to worry, disabling Killer in services.msc won't affect your internet connections. I don't have them running on my XPS 8930 and have no issues...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

@ThomasIvan Based on this description of taskhostw.exe it is possible that the process taskhostw is not the problem but that taskhostw is executing a DLL that contains executable code that is the problem. The question then would be what executable code in a DLL is being executed every 30 seconds and what application does that DLL belong to?

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor