Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 17th, 2018 08:00

XPS 8930, mystery USB Drive (E:)

New XPS I posted about over the weekend. I added a 1Tb NVMe drive and installed Windows 10 Pro v1803 on it. I have not reformatted the internal hard drive yet. The system has been working great except for 2 things:

1. I see a "USB Drive (E:)" listed under Devices and drives but it is "0" size and double clicking opens a dialog that says "Please insert a disk into the USB Drive (E:)". Note that I also have a DVD RW Drive (F:) so it is not a misnamed optical drive. What is this?
  2. a 128GB VisonTek USB 3.0 SSSD PRO I used to install windows 10 and then reformatted does not show up in the Devices and drives list when I insert it. I do hear the USB do-doda-do sound. I also do see it show up in Device Manager in Disk drives. It shows as "device is working properly". Note that several other small (2Gb-8Gb) USB thumb drives do show up in Devices and drives. Any idea on why it won't mount and what I can do to get it to mount?

TIA, Michael

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 17th, 2018 09:00

SD and Compact flash etc readers will show up as 0 byte drives when there is no media in the slot.

What are the USB VID and other HARDWARE ID's of this device?

CAC readers will also show up when they are empty.

https://www.ricoh-usa.com/en/products/pd/accessories/accessories/common-access-card-readers/_/R-005269miu

USB\VID_0ACD&PID_2030&REV_0001

27 Posts

October 17th, 2018 08:00

I should also mention for 2) - I do not see the mysterious E: in Disk Management , nor do I see the VisionTek but I do see other USB drives when I insert them.

27 Posts

Ah! That explains E: I didn't realize it but this machine has an SD card reader.

As for the VIsionTek, I was able to format it and now it is mounting too.

27 Posts

Screen shot of Disk Management - actually I do see the VisionTek in the partition list but not in the volume list.

DiskManagement.PNG

No Events found!