Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

166 Posts

June 29th, 2020 18:00

XPS 8300, semi-modular PSU and fit issues

Hello.  I am currently endeavoring to spice up my XPS 8300 i7 2600 by upgrading the video card from the supplied hd 6450 to an xfx r 7970 ghost edition.  I currently have 2 PSU's to work with.  An EVGA 600B, and a Seasonic SSR 750 RM.  I really wanted to use the semi-modular and more powerful Seasonic, but it will take some wrestling to get it to fit, and will be outside and on top of the 2 metal tabs that hold the PSU down inside the case.   The EVGA fits very well, but is this enough power in the long run if I am not going to add any more peripherals, or is it okay to carefully force fit the longer Seasonic in there.  The screws in the back of the case should hold it in there, but just don't really know in the long run, so looking for advice from others who may have done this already.  Thank you.

• 

25K Posts

June 30th, 2020 12:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 1st, 2020 12:00

I installed a Corsair tx650w in my XPS-8300 . It was not a hard or tricky install .

I just ignored those metal-tabs, but I guess if they bother you ... remove them or bend-them out of the way.

Welcome to upgrading retail (Dell) machines with after-market parts. 

https://www.dell.com/community/Vostro-Desktops/Vostro-460-XPS-8300-Upgrade-Adventures/m-p/6055730/highlight/true#M1225

166 Posts

July 3rd, 2020 23:00

Thank you for the info.  Yes I agree that getting a std size PSU was pretty straight forward.  The EVGA 600B fit very well and snapped into the metal tabs.  My concern is that the SSR 750 RM is semi modular, and longer PSU.  I will have to push with some force to get it to fit, and that is going to put stress on the cable set that I believe goes to the lights on the front of the case, i.e. HDD, DVD drive, and or the extra USB slots.  If it's not a great idea to even attempt do you think long term that a 600w PSU will be sufficient with a xfx r 7970 ghost edition GPU?   Thank you again.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 4th, 2020 15:00

you think long term that a 600w PSU will be sufficient with a xfx r 7970 ghost edition GPU?

===============

Well, the card maker should tell you the minimum recommended wattage of the power-supply .

That said, if it has a 6-pin PCIe-Power cable, and your video card only needs "one 6-pinner" it might work.

Personally, I never "under-size" a power-supply ... I always OVER-SIZE (wattage wise) if possible.

July 5th, 2020 21:00

Hi,

I am having the same dilemma.

I have an XPS 8300 with Dell specification.  I am making first upgrade myself and I am looking for information on two items:

1) GPU: Want to replace current graphic card with Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX1660 which requires 8 pin power connector from PSU and installed on PCIe x16 slot.  Will that be compatible with motherboard chipset/bios?

2) PSU: For the above requirement (8 pin power connector), I need a power supply that will accommodate above GPU as well as power for existing BlueRay CD Player, hard drive, USBs, Motherboard etc. etc.  Which power supply should I get?  I am targeting for 600W to 650W.  The replacement PSU should be compatible with XPS8300 motherboard bios/chipset.

Thanks

1 Message

October 8th, 2020 14:00

@DellUser2012 

In case you haven't already discovered, the GTX1660 will not work with the XPS8300, the best cards you can get will be the Pascal based cards.

I've installed a GTX1070 in my XPS8300 and that's fine. It needs 1 x 8pin connector instead of the 2 x 6pin that my previous Radeon HD6870 used, but a converter came with the 1070.

I'm still looking for a higher spec PSU though for when the 1080Ti cards drop in price.

No Events found!