Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 27th, 2018 23:00

Studio XPS 435T/9000, PCIe M.2 SSD, not in BIOS

I have this really great nine year old Studio XPS 435T/9000 with a Xeon X5690 hexacore CPU. I recently upgraded the GPU to an MSI GTX 1050 ti, the PSU to an EVGA 600w, 192GB of ECC RAM, Windows 10 Home and this M.2 PCIe SSD. Windows recognizes the M.2 SSD. But, the BIOS does not. Since this is NOT a SATA SSD, I can't imagine any SATA settings in the BIOS would effect this drive. I am considering using another Dell BIOS, A17. I currently have the latest BIOS, A16 circa 2011. I need to know if anyone else has had any luck with this? I mean, using Dell's A17 BIOS in this motherboard? Or, getting the OS to boot from the SSD? I really, really want the 2GB/sec read. I have the adapter in the PCIe x8 slot. Although there is a PCIe x8 adapter, I'm only using the x4 adapter. In my research, PCIe 2.1 is supposed to support M.2 SSD's. Can we please get a new BIOS to support this?

732 Posts

October 25th, 2018 09:00

@Techgee wrote:

...my recent awareness of developments in NAS and blockchain [actual word censored] mining, which can be used as enabling infrastructure technologies in the 435T/9000, have convinced me to pull the trigger on a storage capacity and performance upgrade.

Looking at a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe in front of me, which is waiting for a PCIe adapter.  Hope is to run it as Windows 10 boot drive in the Dell Studio XPS 435T/9000.  Fingers crossed...

Why don't you pull the trigger on a new computer instead?

590 Posts

October 25th, 2018 12:00

Because, as should be obvious to anyone who's read my specs, there's not much I can't do with this machine.  I don't need a new computer right now.  And, I can now see an upgrade path if I want to make other enhancements.  Stated another way, the cost/benefit analysis to buying a new machine vs. doing less expensive upgrades doesn't favor a new machine yet.

And, any PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe M.2 SSD I buy now would not be "throw away" - it can move to a new machine.  For now, it seems a $15 card and the right M.2 SSD can add disk space I need and an upgrade to around 1700 read speeds.

Some of us can open the hood and upgrade storage capacity, when that is what we need, some of us can't and need to buy a new machine.  I'm perfectly capable of screwing down a M.2 card and getting it to work, unlike some of us I hear with a Samsung 970...  Should I "rub it in"?  Or, maybe you could stop suggesting I buy a new machine and just "let things go".  ;)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 25th, 2018 14:00

@546insp wrote:

Why don't you pull the trigger on a new computer instead?

What @Techgee said ... :Smile:

Also, some us need more than one nice computer. We keep the old ones running for other users ... family, etc. It's cheaper than land-filling the computer and buying new.

Not all of us look at computer repairs and upgrades as a chore. For some, it's a challenge, a puzzle, or just like to build cool machines (computers, cars, whatever).

732 Posts

October 26th, 2018 00:00

@Techgee wrote:

Because, as should be obvious to anyone who's read my specs, there's not much I can't do with this machine.  I don't need a new computer right now.  And, I can now see an upgrade path if I want to make other enhancements.  Stated another way, the cost/benefit analysis to buying a new machine vs. doing less expensive upgrades doesn't favor a new machine yet.

And, any PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe M.2 SSD I buy now would not be "throw away" - it can move to a new machine.  For now, it seems a $15 card and the right M.2 SSD can add disk space I need and an upgrade to around 1700 read speeds.

Some of us can open the hood and upgrade storage capacity, when that is what we need, some of us can't and need to buy a new machine.  I'm perfectly capable of screwing down a M.2 card and getting it to work, unlike some of us I hear with a Samsung 970...  Should I "rub it in"?  Or, maybe you could stop suggesting I buy a new machine and just "let things go".  ;)

That last paragraph made no sense and yes I know how to work on them. Everybody gets pushed out of shape when I suggest they chuck it and get a newer one. 10 year old computers are like 30 year old cars, they are done, kaput, shot, old technology. I was a mechanic and I know dumping parts into one is a losing proposition, and that's why you don't see any on the road. Also everyone justifies it by saying they can salvage the parts for later but in reality that will never happen. It could be a challenge but so is seeing if bald tires will make it through the vacation, I can think of better challenges. Even kids would be better off with a cheap newer PC instead of an old propped up one.

1 Message

March 1st, 2019 14:00

Hello,

Can you tell me what specific ecc ram you are using?  Thanks

14 Posts

April 22nd, 2019 17:00

THAT'S NOT TRUE! "Upgrading ones computer is like having an older car one keeps well" Computers perform a **bleep** of a lot better than cars do. Second, the environmental impact of replacing computers every 5 years is not only costly, but is unnecessary and can create a lot of problems for the average user who was happy with their old configuration. Thus, making a net decrease in overall usage. This computer uses PCIe 2.1 to about 80% of its potential. That being said, one can get the M.2 NVMe PCIe adapter for the PCIe x8 slot. PCIe 2.1 Adapter

This gives a maximum potential of 4GB/s speed. I highly recommend the new PCIe NVMe's. they have 3D NAND tech and their speeds are at least 3.2 GB/s. Besides, the new RAM is VERY costly. I get the full bandwidth of this computer when I installed a XEON X5690. DO NOT USE ANY XEON WITH THE "W" moniker. They will not work. Also, the extra addresses on the XEON allow one to increase the total amount of RAM. Even though this is ECC RAM, one MUST use UDIMMS as the memory controller is on the CPU in XEON chips, not the chipset.

732 Posts

April 22nd, 2019 20:00

@MasterX767 wrote:

THAT'S NOT TRUE! "Upgrading ones computer is like having an older car one keeps well" Computers perform a **bleep** of a lot better than cars do. Second, the environmental impact of replacing computers every 5 years is not only costly, but is unnecessary and can create a lot of problems for the average user who was happy with their old configuration. Thus, making a net decrease in overall usage. This computer uses PCIe 2.1 to about 80% of its potential. That being said, one can get the M.2 NVMe PCIe adapter for the PCIe x8 slot. PCIe 2.1 Adapter

This gives a maximum potential of 4GB/s speed. I highly recommend the new PCIe NVMe's. they have 3D NAND tech and their speeds are at least 3.2 GB/s. Besides, the new RAM is VERY costly. I get the full bandwidth of this computer when I installed a XEON X5690. DO NOT USE ANY XEON WITH THE "W" moniker. They will not work. Also, the extra addresses on the XEON allow one to increase the total amount of RAM. Even though this is ECC RAM, one MUST use UDIMMS as the memory controller is on the CPU in XEON chips, not the chipset.

Actually cars and computers both go south as they age but I keep my cars twice as long, mostly because the technology changes much faster with the PC's, I will admit my PC's are always running great when I get rid of them, but you can keep yours and I will replace mine every 5 years.

No Events found!