Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 15th, 2018 22:00

Studio XPS 435T, PSU upgrade?

Hi:

Any recommendation for power supply upgrade for Studio XPS 435T? Around 600 W. Obviously , it must have all the connectors (24-pin power connector , 8-pin power connector , at lease 5 SATA power connectors, etc) and must be screw-holes compatible . Dell uses some odd screw hole positions; also, around the same physical size as the Dell 435T (flextronics) power supply.

Anyone uses the Corsair TX650 V2 650W ATX12V for XPS 435T? I looked at the screw hole locations and they don't seem to  match the existing screw holes on the XPS case. Any problem?

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

April 17th, 2018 15:00

Hi:

You misunderstood . I do trust your advice but the holes are really at different places , maybe 437T is slightly different from the 8300. I also reconsidering getting a used unit, my little voice in my head has been telling me about the risk of using a used device and your advice reinforces that.

Anyway, thank you for your time.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 16th, 2018 09:00

@moxxywrote:

Hi:

1. Dell uses some odd screw hole positions; also, around the same physical size as the Dell 435T (flextronics) power supply.

2. Anyone uses the Corsair TX650 V2 650W ATX12V for XPS 435T? I looked at the screw hole locations and they don't seem to  match the existing screw holes on the XPS case. Any problem?

Thanks.

1. No, I've never seen that. I put a Corsair-650w into one XPS-410, and a Corsair-750w into another back-in-the-day.

2. Sounds like the Corsair tx650w I just dropped into my Dell Vostro-460 (aka XPS-8300).

https://www.dell.com/community/Vostro/Vostro-460-XPS-8300-Upgrade-Adventures/m-p/6054983#M1213

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

April 16th, 2018 10:00

Dell keeps rejecting my replies.

So the Corsair is compatible with your XPS 8300 power supply mountable screw holes exactly? the Corsair power supply is resting on the metal strip inside the computer case  and not hanging in mid air relying solely on the four scres for support? The connectors match (one  24-pin power connector, one 8-pin power connector , how many SATA power connectors? ). Are the 8-pin connectors separated using two 4-pin connecotrs , etc?

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

April 16th, 2018 12:00

Hi:

The reason for replacing the old XPS 437T power supply is the drop in the 3.3V to 2.9 V but after I slightly wiggle the power connector wires a bit , it goes back up to 3.28 V. That is no good for me (something is loose ??). I have no need for more power but since I can get the Cosair TX650 for around the same price as the exact replacement (XPS 437T Flextronics supply), why not upgrade it ? But I have to be sure the Corsair is both physically and electrically compatible.

Thanks for your reply.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 16th, 2018 12:00

@moxxywrote:

1. So the Corsair is compatible with your XPS 8300 power supply mountable screw holes exactly?

2. the Corsair power supply is resting on the metal strip inside the computer case 

3. and not hanging in mid air relying solely on the four screws for support?

4. The connectors match (one  24-pin power connector, one 8-pin power connector , how many SATA power connectors? ). Are the 8-pin connectors separated using two 4-pin connecotrs , etc?

1. Yes

2. Huh? What metal strip? Oh, that latch thingy. No, that's just for the OEM power-Supply. Kinda cool but not required.

3. Yeah, I guess it is. You make it sound negative, but that is the way it works in most custom-case builds.

4. You can get that detailed info else-where, but yes, it works fine. Mine are many years old (and not modular) so you have to bundle-up the extra wires and stash-them somewhere out-of-the-way.

So, you haven't bought one yet? You can shop at Newegg (even if you buy exact model else-where).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 16th, 2018 13:00

@moxxywrote:

Hi:

The reason for replacing the old XPS 437T power supply is the drop in the 3.3V to 2.9 V but after I slightly wiggle the power connector wires a bit , it goes back up to 3.28 V. That is no good for me (something is loose ??).

Glad to help.

Yeah, I had a cheap after-market no-name PS once. It worked fine for a couple of years. Then, one-day ... It had +5volts until you actually put a load on the +5 ... then it went down to +3v. Needless to say, the computer didn't like that too much. :Smile:

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

April 16th, 2018 16:00

"Huh? What metal strip? Oh, that latch thingy. No, that's just for the OEM power-Supply. Kinda cool but not required."

Yes the metal latch support thing . So the screws are adequate to hold the Corsair power supply? The screw holes on the case line up with those on the Corsair power supply?? The Corsair power supply can fit in the XPS 8300 with no problem?

And the Corsair TX650W ATX12V has all the following connectors ?

24pin power connector

8pin connectors

6pin connectors (at least 2)

SATA power connectors (at least 5 )

Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 16th, 2018 19:00

@moxxywrote:

"Huh? What metal strip? Oh, that latch thingy. No, that's just for the OEM power-Supply. Kinda cool but not required."

Yes the metal latch support thing .

1. So the screws are adequate to hold the Corsair power supply?

2. The screw holes on the case line up with those on the Corsair power supply??

3. The Corsair power supply can fit in the XPS 8300 with no problem?

4. And the Corsair TX650W ATX12V has all the following connectors ?

24pin power connector

8pin connectors

6pin connectors (at least 2)

SATA power connectors (at least 5 )

Thanks

See above, I already answered these questions once.

1. Yes.

2. Yes

3. Yes. 

4. Of course. Do you think it would work in my XPS-8300 if it didn't? Plus, when you shop-it at Newegg, it tells/shows you what it comes with.

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

April 17th, 2018 07:00

Hi:

I can't included the link here , Dell keeps rejecting my posts with http links to some external sources. i was going to inlcuded a link to a photo of the XPS 8300 case photo to verify that is the one you have so that I can be sure XPS 8300 and XPS 437T use the same case.

Do you know if the XPS 8300  has the same case layout as the XPS 437T, I want to make sure what works for you also works for me in terms of screw hole locations .

I noticed that the Corsair 's 8-pin connector is divided into two 4-pin connectors. In the XPS 437T , the 8-pin connector is a one-piece connector. There is only one way to insert the two 4-pin connectors into the 8-pin socket?

Sorry for many questions, I am not familiar with the Corsair and it is the power supply , it can blow everything in my system.

It would be simpler if I just get the exact Flextronics replacement power supply , but as I mentioned , for nearly the same price , why not get a more powerful one in case I need more power in the future!?

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 17th, 2018 08:00

moxxy,

I think that your post are being moderated due to HTML?

Try this...

* Click the blue Reply button
* Under the word Body, click RICH TEXT (not HTML)
* Enter the word testlink
* Copy any valid external link
* Highlight the word testlink
* Click the chain icon left of Photos, paste the external link in the top URL blank, click OK
* Click Post

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

April 17th, 2018 09:00

Hi:

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am going to get a used one even for Corsair , I can't afford new one .

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

Hi Chirs:

Thanks for suggestion but didn't work even for an external link (using the link icon) , Rich Text is set by default.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@moxxywrote:

Hi:

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am going to get a used one even for Corsair , I can't afford new one .

No, I don't recommend a used power-supply.

Do you mind if I ask what country you are in?

Also, are you able to "shop online" at stores like Newegg or Amazon?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@moxxywrote:

Hi:

1.  i was going to inlcuded a link to a photo of the XPS 8300 case photo to verify that is the one you have so that I can be sure XPS 8300 and XPS 437T use the same case.

2. Do you know if the XPS 8300  has the same case layout as the XPS 437T, I want to make sure what works for you also works for me in terms of screw hole locations .

3. I noticed that the Corsair 's 8-pin connector is divided into two 4-pin connectors. In the XPS 437T , the 8-pin connector is a one-piece connector. There is only one way to insert the two 4-pin connectors into the 8-pin socket?

4. Sorry for many questions, I am not familiar with the Corsair and it is the power supply , it can blow everything in my system.

5. It would be simpler if I just get the exact Flextronics replacement power supply , but as I mentioned , for nearly the same price , why not get a more powerful one in case I need more power in the future!?

Thanks

1. You can download the XPS-8300 PDF manuals at support.dell.com . I've also seen some old OptiPlex models that appear to have the exact same case (just with a different plastic front).

2. No, but I'm 99% sure it will work. Power-Supplies in Dells haven't been proprietary for many years (like over 10).

3. The 8-pin power is for the CPU. Yes, it can be used as-is for 8-pin or separated to use as one 4-pinner.

4. I understand. However we (me and hundreds of others on this forum) have been using Corsair PS as replacements into many different Dell BTX-based models (like XPS-410) and also Dell ATX-based models (like XPS-8300 and many OptiPlex) for like 10 years now.

5. Maybe you should. However, I'm not sure how you will find NEW STOCK of a Flextronic PS for a 10-year old machine. However, it's a very generic plain OEM part, so maybe that is how.

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

April 17th, 2018 10:00

Hi:

I looked at Amazon.com but the new ones are expensive.

Well,  just look at the screw holes on the Corsair TX650.

The bottom screws (left and right ) are lined up horizontally but the XPS 435T bottom mounting screw holes are not lined up to each other horizontally. The screws are important , they provide mounting support as well as grounding for the power unit.

No Events found!