Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

1 Message

November 16th, 2019 08:00

Studio XPS 9100, GPU issue

Hey, I'm currently working on an ok old studio xps 9100 from my grandparents and I've come to an issue with the x16 slot in the fact that the ends are split open. When I plug the gpu into the slot, it looks as though it's contacting the pins on the mobo but I can't use the retention  knob to lock it in place and this is on an open test  bench. I was going to just buy an adapter for x8 slots to x16 but I wasn't sure this would work given the fact that the 6 beeps coming from the mobo on boot has something to do with the slot not providing power or connecting to the gpu.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 16th, 2019 11:00

That model should also have integrated video that can be used without using the failed slots. See if there is a removable cap on the integrated connections. Old computer means the first thing to replace is the cmos coin cell battery for about $2. 6 beeps mean real time clock failure which might be solved by replacing the coin cell battery. See the manual for replacing it.

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/XPS-9100-6-BIOS-beeps-2-possible-issues/td-p/5019115

590 Posts

November 16th, 2019 14:00

@TrulyAngel14 wrote:

Hey, I'm currently working on an ok old studio xps 9100 from my grandparents and I've come to an issue with the x16 slot in the fact that the ends are split open. When I plug the gpu into the slot, it looks as though it's contacting the pins on the mobo but I can't use the retention  knob to lock it in place and this is on an open test  bench. I was going to just buy an adapter for x8 slots to x16 but I wasn't sure this would work given the fact that the 6 beeps coming from the mobo on boot has something to do with the slot not providing power or connecting to the gpu.

Note sure what's meant by "issue with the x16 slot in the fact that the ends are split open".  Are you saying the plastic slot is physically broken?

Pressing the white retention tab/lever towards the card may allow card to be pressed down all the way.  I'd check that bottom back of graphic card isn't hitting some of the higher components on the motherboard.  Also, maybe use a flashlight and magnifying glass to check for any debris in the PCIe slot.  I have a Dell desktop from same era where properly seating cards in PCIe slots can be a little tricky - often the metal bracket on the card gets hung up the metal chassis at back of the PC and some jiggling is require to seat it.  The 6 beeps obviously means the PC can't see the video card.  Does the card require an additional power connector and if so is that attached?

@Mary G wrote:

That model should also have integrated video that can be used without using the failed slots.

The XPS 9100 is a Intel X58 chipset system - I don't know of any processors for the X58 chipset that have integrated graphics.  Basically, the XPS 9100 requires a discrete graphics card for video.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 17th, 2019 10:00

Precision T3500 would be a suitable replacement system.  This one is not worth fixing with slot split down the middle.

No Events found!