Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 29th, 2018 18:00

Studio XPS 9100, debug or replace? crashing (CPU fault)

My 2011 7-year old Studio XPS 9100 has started crashing.

• Cleaned/reseated RAM; blew dust out
  • All PSU pin voltages are correct. PSU is 2-3 years old.
  • WinDbg crash minidump analysis shows "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
    A fatal hardware error has occurred" pinpointing the CPU. (FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_MAE_PRV)

Looking online shows that debugging this error may be quite time-consuming and I'd like to get your advice regarding trying to debug this issue or just buying a new PC.

• My modus operandi has always been "buy a powerful, expensive PC and run it for 10 years."
  • My PC had run fine until now (except for needing a PSU replacement one time).Would I face increasing problems in the near future with aging, unsupported components?
  • One small flaw: I seem to recall reading years ago that this PC could only handle a maximum of 6GB RAM (crippled Windows), although the motherboard supports twice as much. (I have updated to Windows 10 since then.) While I've managed with 6GB, it's certainly proven a hassle with dozens of open browser tabs. (and yes, I use The Great Suspender.)
    • So one advantage of getting a new PC would be getting rid of this maddening 6GB limit.

So, would you try debugging this issue or buy a new PC? And why? Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 11th, 2019 16:00

Since you already did the thermal paste on the CPU and -presumably- locked the heat sink down correctly, it does sound like it might be a video card issue.

Post back and let us know if the replacement card solves the problem.

590 Posts

December 30th, 2018 08:00

Memory limits depend on which version of Windows you have.  Do you have 32 or 64-bit Windows (System -> About -> System type)?

I have the 9100's predecessor, the 9000/435T and similar philosophy - use until I HAVE to buy a new machine.  With my current upgrades (hex core CPU @ 3.85 GHz with ThrottleStop, 48 GB RAM, GTX 970, Windows on a M.2 NVMe SSD @ 1700 MB/s, and a USB 3.1 @ 10Gbps upgrade on the way) and usage (light) there's little performance or capability reason for me to upgrade to a new PC.

However, Windows 10 is unsupported on these machines and Microsoft could break them on a future update.  They broke S3 Sleep this year for the 9000/435T (it crashes on wake) with the 1803 Feature Update, but so far everything else seems ok.  If it gets broken and I can't easily fix it - it's time for a new machine.

I'd probably reseat things (motherboard power, drives, video card, RAM, and CPU) and if I had a spare drive install Windows 10 on it with latest monthly update just to make sure it isn't a driver/software problem.  Note X58 chipset systems like the 9100 are notorious for having CPU seating problems (heatsink clamped down too hard or re-settling) - especially with regards to memory sticks not being recognized.

I probably wouldn't debug the problem beyond the above, especially if you don't have upgrades invested in it and are still running a quad core under 3 GHz and spinning hard drive and have 32-bit Windows.  Upgrading to a system with a SSD and CPU clocking around 4 GHz and 6 cores means you're not spending your time waiting on it.

29 Posts

December 30th, 2018 10:00

I have 64-bit Windows 10 Home running on a 64-bit processor. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you *won't* tell me there's no such thing as a Dell-crippled Windows and I'd been stuck at 6GB RAM all these years for no good reason… 🙂

I did install a SATA 256GB SSD as my system drive and added a 2TB spinning drive a few years ago but then, these have some mileage on them.

590 Posts

December 30th, 2018 12:00

Windows 7 Home Basic was limited to 8GB.  Since the X58 chipset is triple channel it may not have made any sense to try and upgrade from 6 to 8 GB.

All that changed when you upgraded to Windows 10.  The Home edition is limited to 128 GB.  See Microsoft webpage here for Windows OS memory limits.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 30th, 2018 14:00

Did you recently update Win 10 to the Fall'18 update (build 1809)?

Out of curiosity, when was last time you replaced motherboard battery? You might try clearing BIOS and installing a new battery:

1. Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy down all current BIOS settings
  3. Power off, unplug
  4. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  5. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check Service Manual for details)
  6. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  7. Install fresh battery (CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery, ~$2)
  8. Close up and connect mouse, monitor and keyboard
  9. Reboot

And if that helps, you could go up to a max of 24 GB (6x4GB) of RAM with Win 10. Since you have 3x2GB now, you might install either another 3x2GB or 3x4GB if you don't want to toss the RAM that's currently installed.

590 Posts

December 30th, 2018 15:00

If you do decide to test another CPU to see if that's the problem, you can get a used Intel Xeon (W35xx Bloomfield and W36xx Gulftown series are compatible) for it for under $10 on ebay, including shipping. 

See a more complete CPU list for X58 here (note this is high-end CPUs only, but does list which Intel CPU series are compatible) - it's for the Dell Studio XPS 435T/9000, but should apply to any X58 system.

29 Posts

December 31st, 2018 14:00

Lots of helpful suggestions; thanks to all.

I will try reseating every connection and card, along with the CPU & heat sink. If that doesn't work, I may have to bite the bullet and get a new XPS ($1650 special edition, saving $569) because the discount expires on Jan. 4. I won't have time to see if it's my CPU that's bad.

(Also: I just noticed one of my old archival HDDs' SATA cable had been left unplugged since I did basic troubleshooting last week. When plugged in, the PC gives me a flat-out BSOD at bootup. Seems this machine is going south.)

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 31st, 2018 17:00

I'd still clear BIOS and replace the motherboard battery with a fresh one. $2 vs $1650...your decision...

29 Posts

January 1st, 2019 06:00

Oh, I will totally implement all suggestions except "order a test used CPU from eBay" (which couldn't be done by Jan. 4). Once New Year's is over, I'll reseat every card and connection, and replace the motherboard battery and reset the BIOS after recording all BIOS settings.

29 Posts

January 3rd, 2019 05:00

OK, so I've reseated every connection and removed the CPU cooler & reseated the CPU; I'll clean up the old thermal paste and reapply this morning, then see if the system is stable.

This may be in vain because my temps were normal before, even when the crashes started. Perhaps my CPU is damaged, just not from heat.

I'm feeling under the gun: I don't have time to order a cheap used test CPU off eBay, and don't find an offline one locally. I have one day left to order a new XPS at $569 off.

• Even though this is a 4.7-rated top-of-the-line machine, I'm leery at moving down from my roomy full tower with metal sides and stylish white/black/red case, to a plain black, plastic case that's only 16 inches tall. (Although reviews praise the smart layout)

• Even if I was to run my PC for a day without crashes after changing the thermal paste, wouldn't it be better to start fresh with a new machine with contemporary components? Is it likely that I can run my old tower for as long as this new one would last?

• How often does Dell have sales like this? ($569 off a $2220 PC) If my PC still crashes (and a replacement CPU doesn't fix it), how long would I have to wait for a similar sale?

Again, thanks for your advice.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 3rd, 2019 10:00

And the battery...?

Only you can decide whether to buy a new PC now or continue troubleshooting this one.

And only Dell knows when sales prices will be offered. And since you linked to a sales page for Canada, sales up there may not be at the same time or same prices as sales in the US...

The XPS 8930 Special Edition you linked has a 8th Gen CPU. Dell recently started offering the XPS 8930 with an upgrade to the 9th Gen CPU.  So who knows if they'll keep prices on 8th Gen systems low(er) to clear them out..??

I guess you could buy the new one now and continue to troubleshoot the old one in your "spare" time. And if you get it working, you could give it to a family member, or sell it, or donate it...

590 Posts

January 3rd, 2019 11:00

I second RoHe about replacing the coin cell battery, although most likely it's a CPU pin contact or failing CPU issue - but, you never know.  You're kind of out of time before tomorrow to see if it's stable and resolved with current resolution measures.

7 years IS a good run.

My only concern about the Dell XPS 8930 (and really most of Dell's PC offerings) is the lack of good PCIe expansion possibilities. A single, multi-lane PCIe 3.0 x4 expansion slot isn't much, IMO (it's expansion bandwidth is the same as your current PCIe 2.0 x8 slot).  Same with one M.2 slot.  If you want a second M.2 SSD - it will take up the x4 slot.  Similarly for USB 3.2, which has been spec'd and devices will probably start showing up in 2020 - a minimal USB 3.2 PCIe card would need a PCIe 3.0 x2 lanes slot - it would need to go in the x4 slot.

29 Posts

January 3rd, 2019 15:00

Yes, yes, I did replace the battery. I'm now slated to perform stress tests on the system. (The old battery puts out 3.35V.) If I get a crash between now and tomorrow afternoon, it's a new $1650 smaller (ugh) tower for me. Wish me luck…

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 4th, 2019 11:00

Not sure if you want us to wish you luck that it works or fails...

Either way, post back and let us know what happens. Curious minds want to know. :Geeked:

29 Posts

January 5th, 2019 12:00

After reseating the CPU and replacing the thermal paste, the PC ran fine for 24 hours, even in normal (vs. Safe Mode) Windows, with Prime95 stressing the CPU. All seemed fine… until I came home Friday night to find the PC has crashed yet again.

Fortunately, I still had 2 hours to order a new XPS SE, which I did. I now have 3 weeks (delivery) + 30 days (return period) to see if a cheap replacement CPU from eBay will do the trick and allow my old machine to keep running.

I'll post about update after testing a replacement CPU. Until then, thanks to everyone for your speedy, diverse, authoritative suggestions.

No Events found!