Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

124 Posts

December 20th, 2018 00:00

Usb Ports on back of XPS 8700 may have died on me

I recently got a new external hard drive to move files to from an exisitng filled 2TB external harddrive. I had both harddrives connected via usb 3.0 to the usb ports at the back of the computer.
after a 6 hr file transfer, later in the day, I rebooted my computer... and the ports stopped working. at first I thought it was my logitech keyboard and mouse drivers out of date. Then I realized nothing was working from the back six ports.
There are 4 usb 3.0 ports and two regular usb ports at the back of the computer.
There are 2 ports on the top of the computer, and 2 in the front of the computer.
I took a look through the forums and did find a similar post of usb ports stop working, but I'm not so sure this one is entirely not working because of drivers.
I did take a look on google on where to look and i did check device manager- "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" says that the drivers for this device are not installed. windows isunable to find the correct drivers, and I feel like this has a very specific driver to make it work. however, the fact that the other 4 ports on the computer lead me to believe that the back 6 ports have died, or some people online say are disabled.

Is there a proper way to see if each port is working?

How do I go about fixing this or do I need a new MB? -> if so, is moving the CPU easy or hard?

As mentioned in the title, it's a dell XPS 8700 computer with windows 7 x64.
Please let me know if it may be a PSU problem, although I don't think it is as I had the same amount of load for about 2 years.

Thanks in advance.

[edit]

I forgot to mention that when the computer boots with the mouse and keyboard plugged into the back usb ports, the mouse and keyboard do light up, so I do not think this is a problem with BIOS. it's after BIOS finishes and windows boots when the mouse and keyboard stop working on the back 6 ports.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 20th, 2018 03:00

Clear the CMOS (BIOS) memory as a first step.  With the PC powered off (hold the power button for 30 seconds when powering off to clear power).  Open the case and find the CR2032 coin cell CMOS battery.  Remove the battery for at least 10 minutes.  Reinstall and see if that clears the problem.  

If Windows is not recognizing a device, its usually that the BIOS has not identified the device.  Its rarely a power supply problem.

The PC does a "POST" (Power On Self Test) and apparently that passes.  You could press F12 and run the hardware diagnostics, but do the CMOS clear and see what happens.

No Events found!