Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

1 Message

November 27th, 2019 09:00

Use speakers or headphones, change between without unplugging headphones?

I searched everywhere for this issue and couldnt find it, so here we are. 

I have a Dell XPS 8930 desktop. I have working headphones plugged into the front 3.5mm headphone jack. I have working Dell speakers plugged into the 3.5mm aux output jack on the back of the computer. 

I would like to be able to switch between the two (send audio to heaphones sometimes, and speakers at other times) without having to unplug the headphones from the front. The computer seems to prioritize the front jack such that if anything is plugged into the front, it will play from there. Only if there is nothing plugged into the front headphone jack will it then direct sound to the rear output. 

I have updated the Realtek audio driver just in case that was an issue. I see Speakers/Headphones in the control panel audio devices, and nothing changes when I unplug or plug in the headphones at the front. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Cheers, Andy

34 Posts

November 27th, 2019 12:00

...I have the same computer and the same issue, so I'm using a 3.5mm splitter cable in the back audio output with both headphones and speakers attached to it.  I do need to switch the speakers off when using the headphones, however, to maintain the power level to the headphones.  I don't used the front headphone jack at all, as it seems delicate and possibly prone to failure with repeated use. As always, YMMV.

No Events found!