Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 10th, 2019 19:00

XPS 8920, video card bracket

I have an XPS 8920 which came with an upgraded Radeon video card. The Power Switch LED recently quit working so I got a new one through Dell and installed it. Now, for the embarrassing part: I took out a plastic bracket (Dell P/N 0742KM). Just where and how does this bracket go in? I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to put it back in.  

The long dimension is right at 5", width 2-1/2", thickness 1"

TIA!!!IMG_3389.JPG

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

July 1st, 2020 18:00

@virgonova I think you mean page 49 of the Service Manual. Here is a YouTube video where the guy removes the bracket at about 7:05 minutes into the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEVrA1sufqU

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 10th, 2019 20:00

something like this?

with the bracket close to the position in the photo; rotate the top of the bracket away from the video card. with the "foot" of the bracket in the case slot, rotate the bracket back toward the video card, lifting the card very gently to get the bracket under to support the video card.

IMG_3610 - Copy.JPG

54 Posts

August 11th, 2019 07:00

something like this?

It sounds as though he's having trouble inserting the bracket, rather than adjusting it to support the video card.

2 Posts

July 1st, 2020 16:00

I do not have a solution for installing, but I am experiencing a similar issue with not being able to remove this same bracket. I've tried pushing, pulling, squeezing, rotating and prying with not luck. Pg 47 of the manual depicts a blue arrow point up, but this movement does not work. I've searched the forums for the generic "bracket" term and read through everything. This thread is the closest topic to what I am experiencing. 

How do you remove the "full-length graphics-card bracket"??

XPS 8930

2 Posts

July 1st, 2020 18:00

YES. Thank you @Vic384 for the tutorial timestamp too! 

1 Message

January 8th, 2021 12:00

Thank you so much for the answer and photo! I had exact same problem. I took it out and didn’t even remember where it was or purpose of that thing. 

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

January 22nd, 2024 15:07

Hi, I bought my new Dell without a video card so it didn't come with a bracket so I need to buy one.

where and how do I order this bracket? TYIA

No Events found!