Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

1 Message

September 27th, 2019 03:00

XPS 8920, extra SATA3 power cable?

Hi everyone, I have the XPS8920. I want to add a new ssd drive to it to use it as a scratch disk for Photoshop. I did some research and I know where the where sata3 data slots are located, but I don't know much about the sata3 power supply. I saw posts mentioned that there are 2 of them in the PSU, but I can't find any further details on how to get them out, do I need to open the PSU? Also are those power cables long enough or should I buy extender to make it long enough to connect it to the new ssd that will be placed in the bottom empty tray? And the last question is what type of sata3 data cable do I need? I saw posts mentioned that it'll need right angle on one side and left angle on the other side, is this correct? Thank you.

28 Posts

December 10th, 2019 12:00

I added a second ssd drive / It was Sandisk Ultra 3D nand 1.0 terabyte.

I ordered 4 sata cables from microcenter.com $4.00 each

The only one that worked had a 90 degree on one end and a straight end on the other. Without the 90 bend the cable had to be bent kind of severely to avoid bumping the case panel. The power cable was already there.

red is sata datared is sata data

Pic shows ssd screwed to existing drive bracket it is upside down so is hard drive. Red cable is SATA data.

No Events found!