Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 8th, 2018 08:00

Will there be a Meltdown/Sceptre microcode update for Dell XPS 8500?

I have patched my XPS 8920 Bios with 1.0.15 but I have not found a similar Bios patch for my XPS 8500.  The earliest XPS 8xxx updates in the table are for 8700.  Any chance that our XPS 8500s are going to get a Meltdown/Sceptre patch?  Or are the XPS 8500s considered too old to bother with?

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

March 9th, 2018 09:00

Any microcode update -- no matter who delivers it -- can brick a board.  That's why it's better for them to come from the hardware manufacturers.

Microsoft's track record with driver updates is poor -- and its potential for damaging systems with microcode updates would be immense.

62 Posts

April 5th, 2018 05:00

Dell released BIOS version A13 for XPS 8500 on April 2, 2018.  This resolves the issue.

• 

16.6K Posts

March 8th, 2018 08:00

Cbarnhorst,

I cannot say for certain if there will be another bios for the 8500. Chances are there will not be. The system shipped in 2012.

Download and run this free InSpectre application to check your system. What are the results?

62 Posts

March 8th, 2018 14:00

The test report is:

EDITED TO CORRECT IMPROPER TESTING!  3/8/18 

System is Meltdown protected:  YES

System is Spectre protected:  NO

Performance:  Slower

CPUID:  306A9

So it appears that the XPS 8500s needs a BIOS patch.

2.3K Posts

March 8th, 2018 15:00

I would say the software patches worked and that your lucky. There are some older machines that should be patched but can't due to massive performance drops in testing. Its a mess that will take a while for all concerned to figure out.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

March 8th, 2018 16:00

Your results for Spectre makes me suspect the ability of the InSpectre tool. Meltdown requires an OS patch which Microsoft has provided for Windows OSs including versions 7, 8, and 10. The Windows update for Meltdown was released in late January/early February. 

Spectre variant 2 requires a microcode update which Intel has released to OEMs. Up to this point the microcode update requires an updated BIOS. If you do not have an updated BIOS then I don't see how you are protected against Spectre. There is a article here: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/03/microsoft-will-soon-start-shipping-the-intel-spectre-microcode-fixes/?comments=1&start=40, that indicates Spectre microcode fixes are coming to a Windows update but as far as I know that has not happened yet.

62 Posts

March 8th, 2018 20:00

I got confused between two screens.  My results show I am not protected from Sceptre.  The correct result for my Dell XPS 8500 is:

System is Meltdown protected:  YES

System is Sceptre proteced:  NO

Performance:  SLOWER

CPUID:  306A9

Sorry for any misleading info.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

March 9th, 2018 03:00

Now this result makes more sense. Hopefully, Microsoft will incorporate Spectre microcode updates into Windows 10 as the article indicates. At least this will help folks with systems that will not get updates from OEMs, but it appears folks running Windows 7 or 8 maybe left out.

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

March 9th, 2018 05:00

And let's hope that if this happens, the updates are made optional at least at first - Microsoft releasing microcode updates sends shivers up my spine.

The problem is that on many of these systems, they're just not available for testing the updates before they're released - so they become alpha releases, with end users being the (unwitting) testers.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

March 9th, 2018 08:00

Given some of the experiences discussed here in this forum about some of the problems with the BIOS updates with microcode fixes for Spectre and the Intel Management Engine, I am not sure which is better, Windows updates or BIOS updates. At least Windows updates don't have the potential to brick your motherboard and generally they can be uninstalled although being optional would be better.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

March 9th, 2018 11:00

But there are hardware manufacturers are not stepping up to provide firmware updates to systems that are only a few years old. What is immense is that with each manufacturer the number of different systems each with a different BIOS version that needs to be updated. It just seems to me that since Spectre is mainly a CPU issue, Spectre microcode fixes via Windows update is a more reasonable approach. I am sure the hardware manufacturers would agree and those who do not can still provide BIOS updates although I believe very few would.

62 Posts

March 11th, 2018 01:00

If I understand the situation, the general issue with the older CPUs is poorer and poorer performance the older the generation of a CPU.  Or something like that.  Is that the dilemma?  A choice between unacceptable performance and unacceptable security risk?

I hate uncertainties like:  If replacement is impractical do I just quit using what is otherwise a very usable device?  Or do I just keep going until something bad happens?  Or is the probability of an exploit so low as to just ignore it?  I know there are no black and white answers, but this stuff stays in the back of one's mind.

As an aside, I have been scanning the threads on the Meltdown/Spectre topic for the XPS 8910 and 8930 and we in this thread are much better informed and cared for than the users in those threads, who report confusion and no indication of robust BIOS updates yet.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 12th, 2018 10:00

@Vic384wrote:

But there are hardware manufacturers are not stepping up to provide firmware updates to systems that are only a few years old. What is immense is that with each manufacturer the number of different systems each with a different BIOS version that needs to be updated. It just seems to me that since Spectre is mainly a CPU issue, Spectre microcode fixes via Windows update is a more reasonable approach. I am sure the hardware manufacturers would agree and those who do not can still provide BIOS updates although I believe very few would.

Right. However, it might not be Dell's fault (or HP, Lenovo, or whoever).

https://www.google.com/search?q=intel+not+patching+old+system

6 Posts

April 12th, 2018 10:00

In addition, here's the download link, for everyone's convenience: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=4H7WY

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

April 12th, 2018 18:00

I think the manufacturers are more at fault than Intel. Take the case of a Intel Skylake processor. It is a fairly recent generation processor and Intel has provided Spectre microcode updates, but not all manufacturers (both system and motherboard) are providing BIOS updates. For this reason I think a more reasonable approach is for Windows (and other OSs like Linux) to provide microcode updates. Of course the microcode still has to come from Intel or AMD.

No Events found!