Vic384
3 Zinc

Re: Will there be a Meltdown/Sceptre microcode update for Dell XPS 8500?

Jump to solution

But there are hardware manufacturers are not stepping up to provide firmware updates to systems that are only a few years old. What is immense is that with each manufacturer the number of different systems each with a different BIOS version that needs to be updated. It just seems to me that since Spectre is mainly a CPU issue, Spectre microcode fixes via Windows update is a more reasonable approach. I am sure the hardware manufacturers would agree and those who do not can still provide BIOS updates although I believe very few would.

0 Kudos
Cbarnhorst
2 Iron

Jump to solution

If I understand the situation, the general issue with the older CPUs is poorer and poorer performance the older the generation of a CPU.  Or something like that.  Is that the dilemma?  A choice between unacceptable performance and unacceptable security risk?

I hate uncertainties like:  If replacement is impractical do I just quit using what is otherwise a very usable device?  Or do I just keep going until something bad happens?  Or is the probability of an exploit so low as to just ignore it?  I know there are no black and white answers, but this stuff stays in the back of one's mind.

As an aside, I have been scanning the threads on the Meltdown/Spectre topic for the XPS 8910 and 8930 and we in this thread are much better informed and cared for than the users in those threads, who report confusion and no indication of robust BIOS updates yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Cbarnhorst
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Dell released BIOS version A13 for XPS 8500 on April 2, 2018.  This resolves the issue.

melophat
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

In addition, here's the download link, for everyone's convenience: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=4H7WY

Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

@Vic384wrote:

But there are hardware manufacturers are not stepping up to provide firmware updates to systems that are only a few years old. What is immense is that with each manufacturer the number of different systems each with a different BIOS version that needs to be updated. It just seems to me that since Spectre is mainly a CPU issue, Spectre microcode fixes via Windows update is a more reasonable approach. I am sure the hardware manufacturers would agree and those who do not can still provide BIOS updates although I believe very few would.

Right. However, it might not be Dell's fault (or HP, Lenovo, or whoever).

https://www.google.com/search?q=intel+not+patching+old+system

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Gaming when I'm not programming.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Vic384
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

I think the manufacturers are more at fault than Intel. Take the case of a Intel Skylake processor. It is a fairly recent generation processor and Intel has provided Spectre microcode updates, but not all manufacturers (both system and motherboard) are providing BIOS updates. For this reason I think a more reasonable approach is for Windows (and other OSs like Linux) to provide microcode updates. Of course the microcode still has to come from Intel or AMD.

0 Kudos
jdrch
2 Iron

Jump to solution

@Cbarnhorstwrote:

Dell released BIOS version A13 for XPS 8500 on April 2, 2018.  This resolves the issue.

Thanks so much for this!

And thanks Dell for the update! I'll install it later today Smiley Happy

Dell: XPS 8500 Special Edition (Windows 10 Pro)/Inspiron 560 (Windows 10 Home)/2x OptiPlex 390 (Project Trident 18.12, Ubuntu 18.10) | Sony: VAIO Fit 15 E (Windows 10 Pro Insider Slow Ring) | Lenovo: Flex 5 (15") (Windows 10 Pro)/ L380 Yoga (Windows 10 Pro Insider Slow Ring) I HP: ProBook 4530s (Ubuntu 18.10) | Raspberry Pi Model 3 B+ (Raspbian Stretch)
0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

@jdrchwrote:

@Cbarnhorstwrote:

Thanks so much for this!

And thanks Dell for the update! I'll install it later today Smiley Happy

Maybe you shouldn't ?

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/A13-Bios-update-caused-large-performance-problem-how-to-...

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Gaming when I'm not programming.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos