Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

5 Posts

January 10th, 2020 23:00

XPS 2720, motherboard replaced, double image, #3

As per the title, replaced motherboard with an exact replacement (same part/model number) as i know that there a several motherboard types for the 2720.

Display is now split down the middle with 2 identical images? is this a bios or driver problem?

Can i add the replacement motherboard is an exact match for the old, same graphics chips etc

thanks

5 Posts

January 11th, 2020 07:00

yeah ive seen them, same issue but i know for sure that my motherboard is the correct replacement, exact same part number

5 Posts

Haven't tried an external monitor, may give it a try

The double screen is in both post and windows

What do you mean "How did you handle the 32 GB mSATA drive during the MB replacement?", i just plugged it in, is there something i should have done?

Its the 2nd motherboard i have changed, the first time the motherboard was not an exact match and i got the double screen, so sent that one back and made absolutely sure that this one was an exact match, and still got a double screen

Makes me think there's something else going on

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

Under the IPPLP-PL there is a revision number, like REV 1.04.001.  Or .002, etc.  The last three digits also appear on the white Dell sticker above Made in China.  Are those 3 digits the same or different from your original board?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

When I had my first 2720, Dell replaced the motherboard three times because the Nvidia GPU kept failing.  It was a warranty repair and I never saw a double image with those replacements.

I have no way of knowing if it is the motherboard itself but I would guess it was related to interlace or horizontal frequency.  Have you tried using an external monitor to see what it shows?

What OS are you running?  Does the Device Manager show any problems with the Display adapters?  You have reloaded all the drivers from Dell?

How did you handle the 32 GB mSATA drive during the MB replacement?  

Do the white buttons on the bottom right of the monitor have any effect?

5 Posts

January 11th, 2020 10:00

yes exactly the same revision, both series of numbers and letters are identical

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 11th, 2020 13:00

Have you tried clearing BIOS on the new motherboard?

1. Power off, unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Reinstall the battery (Good time for a fresh battery)
  6. Close up and reboot

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 11th, 2020 14:00

@Adam66 wrote:

Display is now split down the middle with 2 identical images?

I can add the replacement motherboard is an exact match for the old, same graphics chips etc

thanks

Sounds like a bad motherboard ... maybe even worse than the first one.

Well, you tried. But it is old so time to move-on.

5 Posts

January 11th, 2020 22:00

New motherboard came without battery, so i guess this would have already happened?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 12th, 2020 06:00

Somebody in the other thread stated they did not have the Nvidia GPU on the board.  Since it is on the back side of the board, do you have that on your replacement boards?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 12th, 2020 11:00

Did you install a battery? And was it new or the same one from the old motherboard? It it's the old one, you might want to try a new one.  -no guarantees!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 12th, 2020 12:00

Was the NVidia GPU an optional upgrade?

No Events found!